Friday 15 March 2024

What's was the best advice you were ever given.

I was once asked what the best advice I was given and without pausing I said.. 'Get a good education.'
And in part this woman was responsible for my education.
She was the Head Teacher of St Clares' school, that my aunt paid for me to go to.
She was Sister Mary Bernadine. I absolutely loved her, and would do anything to please her. She had a bit of a soft spot for me knowing my history, that my mother had died when I was 2 years.
 
She taught French and English and I often got told off for not knowing my French verbs, and had smacks with a ruler on my hand! They were gentle taps, but I excelled at English. 

I loved every day in that school and remember how we used to sit in the orchard and read Keats aloud to each other. Can you imagine 14 or 15 year old girls reading poetry in these days; they were happy days for me.

It was Sister Mary Bernadine who suggested I became a nurse as she said  I had a caring nature. I wanted to go to Art College, but my Grandmother wouldn't allow it, so I went into Nursing and trained at Cardiff Royal Infirmary to become a nurse.  I did go back to see Sister Bernadine after I'd left school and she hugged me and wanted to hear all about my nursing.

 I'm a member of the School FB group, although most of the members there, were in school in the sixties and seventies and later, but they all speak of Sister Bernadine with great affection. I am still  in touch with one girl, I've written about her and us going to dances together.  Best years of my younger life and that education allowed me to get a Degree when I was 38 and became a teacher..and the pension has allowed me to live comfortably. So it was very good advice, 'Thank you Aunty Glad.'

What was the best advice you were given?

Chrisxx

4 comments:

jabblog said...

The best advice I was given concerned education, too. It allowed me to have a career.

Marie Smith said...

I had a favourite teacher in grade 10, a nun too. Her name was Sister Matthew. She suggested I become a teacher after I did a presentation to the class about Renaissance art. She taught English and history and I loved how she acted out scenes of what we studied.

My friend in class was killed by a drunk driver and her parents were in hospital during her funeral. Sister Matthew took our class to the funeral home and the service. She helped the class deal with the loss of our friend. I loved that woman!

Meanqueen said...

My boss at the bus company I worked for told me to put my money into property. I had quite a lot in the bank, didn't have time to spend it because I was working long hours. I was in a rented flat. I didn't fancy being tied to a mortgage, but did it anyway. Now I am in my third house, and it's mine.

Gill said...

When I was left a large sum of money and a solicitor friend said pay your mortgage off. Best thing we ever did as we have owned our own home for the last 34 years. Have a good weekend. Gill Xx