Wednesday 6 March 2024

A Fantastic read, you'll cry, laugh and cheer reading this book!


If this the first book you read by Kristin Hannah, it won't be the last. It is an amazing book, you'll want to read every thing she has written. Anyone who reads my blog will know that Dh said he'd pay half the cost of this book, because I was having guilt feeling about the amount I was spending on books and this was £14.95 to pre-order. So on that basis he read it first. The first evening he started I asked how was he finding it. His face told it all, big smiles as he said.' Its excellent!'  And I can second that, it is an amazing book and now that I've read, I feel bereft!

The main character is Francis, called Frankie and you'll love her. I got so deep into her character I cried when she did. with her disappointments and losses. Set in the Vietnam war Frankie signs up as an Army nurse and is posted to the war front. 

When she gets there naïve Frankie is overwhelmed by the chaos and destruction of the war. You watch the naïve Frankie, who is way over the head become a confident and well respected, very efficient nurse. With her two nursing friends and Drs we learn how they worked to save the seriously injured soldiers and civilians. The discriptive scenes of the casualties were horrific and as I'm sure Ms Hannah researched this, in real life it must have been an unimaginable shock to the system.

The friendship between the three nurses endure long after their return home, where their service isn't recognized. The general view was that there were no women in the Vietnam war. And where they are seen in uniform, they come across a divided nation, so they're spat on and mocked. It was a very difficult time for Frankie and its her two friends who support her and get her through a very harrowing time. Is there any romance in her life? Well you'll have to read it yourself to find out.. but keep your tissues near!

I think you've guessed I loved it, best of the books I've read this year.

Chrisxx

6 comments:

jabblog said...

It sounds like money well spent:-)

Sue said...

That sounds like a wonderful read. xx

Mari said...

Thanks for the review! I'll be getting it from my friend soon. Can't wait to read it!

Gill said...

Based on your fabulous review and that your Dh enjoyed it, I've just ordered it from Amazon for £9.00. I love reading and am always looking for recommendations of good books. Take care. Hugs Gill Xx

Marie Smith said...

I’ll look for it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Chris said...

I've just started it and am thinking of recommending it for my book club to read later this year.