Friday 1 March 2024

Bits and cards and a very heavy buy!

 Yesterday, we had an afternoon in town, I needed some bits and Dh wanted to post a card to his bother in law, guess what? Yes he forgot it!  I also wanted some birthday cards for a cousin, my youngest grandson and my eldest son. All cards for males, without pictures of beer, wine, football, golf, cycling or gardening on them. Why is it so difficult to find any that are suitable for men?

I did find some with sea-scapes pictured on them, just nice but pricy from one of the gift shops. I don't really mind, after all they only have one birthday a year, and they're worth it. And then I mooched around looking at the little presents; they had bars of chocolate with names on. If they had one with my grandson's name I would have bought it, but none.

Since my arm injury I have my hair done regularly and watch the weather forecast,  because it has to last between visits. I have found one here in town that does my hair beautifully except her helper manages to wet me every time when she washes it! So now I ask for a towel rolled up and around my neck, it works! So Thursdays are my hair day; we made it home before the rain, but only just!

I nearly bought some daffodils, but then thought I've loads here in the garden, I could pick some ready for St David's Day. We went into the Kitchen shop to buy a bake-stone. I didn't think I wanted one when I sold the old house, because my grandmother's was still there, poked into a corner. I regretted it as soon as the house went, but made do over the years with a thick bottom frying pan, in which I have only used as a pan to cook Welsh cakes.  But now I've bought one, its cast iron and was very heavy to carry. So now we have one to use to make Welsh cakes as it's St David's Day!

Welsh Cakes

Recipe 

8 oz S R Flour.

3 oz Marg

3 oz Sugar

3 oz currants, or sultanas.

I large egg

1/2 Tsp of salt.

1 Tsp Nutmeg.

Small amount of milk

Castor sugar to sprinkle on cooked Welsh cakes.

Method.

Mix all dry ingredient and then rub in marg.

Add fruit.

Make a well and add beaten egg.

Draw in dry mix till all added in, add drop of milk if too dry.

Try not to wet it too much, it will look like a dough mix.

Tip out onto a floured surface.

Roll out to about 3/4 inch thick

Use a round or fluted cutter and cut out cakes.

Place bake stone, which has been very lightly greased and floured on gentle heated plate or gas.

Place Welsh cakes on it, spaced out.

Turn after about 2 or 3 minutes and cook other side

Place on wire rack to cool, sprinkle with castor sugar.

Eat and enjoy!


Chrisxx
Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus

12 comments:

susanB said...

I now live in France and my french friends always enjoy welsh cakes. I always make them with butter. I don’t use margarine for anything.

jabblog said...

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus!
The Welsh cakes look so tempting.

susanB said...

Meant to add that I enjoy your blog.

Jo said...

Oh, I love Welsh cakes, you've got me wanting one now, though I admit I buy mine rather than make them.

busybusybeejay said...

Have a look at Orchard Cards.
Barbara

busybusybeejay said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sue said...

I never pick my own growing daffodils, even when we lived in North Wales and I had LOTS of them all around our land. I leave them growing and buy pots of Tete a Tete daffs in pots, and then add them to the outdoor ones at the end of their season.

Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus xx

Mari said...

Glad you had a successful day in town. You're right about how hard it is to find men's cards.
Your cakes look very good!

Marie Smith said...

There are a lot of cards here with fishing scenes for men. Our SIL is an avid fisher so we are never stuck for a card. I always buy the cards for a year in January and we are set for the year’s occasions.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

It is hard to find cards for men which are not like the ones you describe. I mostly make my own when needed for the men in my family and I can design them to fit their individual tastes and interests. Thank you for the Welsh cake recipe, I will add it to our recipe box.

Liz Hinds said...

Cards for men are so hard to find! You have made me want to make welshcakes now. Would you believe I lost my gran's griddle? Yes, I know. Ridiculous, how can you lose a griddle? I bought a new one but it's not as good.

Bless said...

Thank you for the recipe for Welsh cakes! I've never eaten one! Maybe I'll try making some according to your recipe!