Thursday 28 March 2024

I've got a lot of time for this woman!

 Have you by chance read what Ann Widdecombe has said recently to GB news.

The former MP said...  Quote....'Firstly I think you should stop lumping all old people together. There's enormous difference between  someone in their 60s, who almost certainly comes from the age of computers and someone in their 90s, who struggles a bit and whose brain doesn't work as fast as it used to and is afraid of new technology. There's an enormous difference. I'm sick of hearing the word pensioners as if we're all the last stages of an illness.

 Secondly is that,  very sophisticated stuff you wouldn't expect them to do, like on line Banking is fairly simple to do and  can be mastered by most people and most people have access to the younger generation, who can show them what to do if they can't.  I say Just get on with it!'

End of quote...

Then last evening I had a text from my DD thanking me for their Easter card and a 'ha ha ha,' for my explanation of down loading an app. to know the time in Chandigarh India. where my grand daughter is. I had sent her instructions of how to find one because she said she couldn't... in stages..eg, ... On yr phone, Search for the World Clock, tap and open, then scroll through options, then chose the option Asia, tap and open, then chose the town nearest to ... etc then blah blah.. I did reply by saying I might be 81, but you forgot I taught computers when I was teaching and had given her step by step instructions assuming she knew nothing!! Ha ha. and also Dh's job was IT.. I use my computer for everything.. and nothing phases me! Criky I know younger people who can't blog, are afraid of emailing and think their phones are annoying when their phone won't do something. I've said, its you, not the phone!

What do you think if you're an older person?

I do admire Ann Widdecombe but her books/novels,  are awful in my opinion!

Chrisxx

9 comments:

Terra said...

I am about your age and quite tech savvy and I like Ann Widdecomb's insights on us old people. There is a big difference in people 60 and people 90. My sister is 5 years younger than I and she and her hubby have no computer skills nor interest in it. Now I will see what books Widdecomb has written, I don't know who she is.

Moira said...

I agree with your comments on computers, we are 83 & 74 and no longer have a computer but use our iPad and phone everyday. I tell friends to stop being frightened of them that they are simpler to use than the ledger machines or comptometer we used in the 1960’s

Joy said...

Well said Ms Widdecombe. Not understand HOW does not mean we don't understand HOW TO!!
xx

Meanqueen said...

I love Ann. I know nothing about her books, but I like that she is not afraid to air her views on most political subjects, with a good old fashioned common sense attitude. I don't consider myself as an older person. I know enough about the modern world, computers etc, to get me through life. It is my doggedly stubborn attitude, and the quest for a simple life, that prevents me from joining the rush to hand my brain over to AI.

jabblog said...

Some people are old in their twenties, others are still young in their nineties, which is a different point to Ann
Widdecombe's. I have never liked being categorised and won't be now.

Marie Smith said...

My husband is great with computers but he knows nothing about blogging.

You are so right. There is a huge difference among the “old people” society lumps together. My MIL, at 91 is slowing down compared to five years ago.

There is a couple we meet on the boardwalk all the time, who, like us are out in bad weather. He always says, “Only the athletes are out today.” The vitality of that couple is undeniable and they could challenge many young people in a walk along that boardwalk. She uses a cane as they walk along with great speed, feed the animals, and chat with other walkers.

Some people won’t understand seniors until they are one themselves!


Mari said...

I've not heard of Ann Widdecombe but I agree with what she said. I think we all need to keep learning!

Buttercup said...

I think we're all different, but 60 is different than 90, but that doesn't mean 90 is done. I had the pleasure of showing a friend of mine how to use her new iPad when she was 93 and she did just fine. I think being engaged and interested keeps you going.

Margie from Toronto said...

We were having this discussion at the office recently. Lots of talk about young people coming in to update our technology and how everyone says oh yes - that's what we need! Had to point out to them that those of us in our 60's and 70's have now been using computers for about 40 years and have had to adapt and relearn numerous times by now so where this idea that "old folks" don't understand or are afraid of technology is absolutely ridiculous!