Monday 4 March 2024

INSOMNIA!!

 I have written about this before but its a big problem in my life. I've had a little weepy moment this morning, nothing bad has happened in my life, just another night of sleeplessness, it isn't just me I know other women of a certain age, who also suffer from insomnia, so why? Last night was another night when I saw the dawn and felt the cold of the unheated lounge. But there was no point staying in the bed, I was in the wide awake club. Why? I'd dropped off to sleep quite easily and earlier than I did normally, but my eyes were closing as I tried to read, so felt confident that I was going to sleep all night.

Dh wanted to carry on reading; our bedside lamps are sat low on our bedside cabinets so we don't disturb each other. I settled and he helped me with the duvet. I can't pull it over me with my right duff arm, so have to cross over with my left. I got my pillow just right, solid for a side sleeper and I went to sleep right away.

Then I woke for a wee, about 1:30am, and got back into bed and started my sleep thoughts. I dared think about anything that is unpleasant, so concentrate on seeing the sea ripple up on the sand and keep thinking, I'm warm, cosy, comfortable and I'm going to sleep. I won't watch creepy films or any dramas that are upsetting before going to bed.

I gave up and got out of bed at 2:45, wide awake! Scream, scream, scream!

March last year when I had a Dr's consultation about my regular tablets, she prescribed me some sleeping tablets. I only took them for 2 nights, I was like a zombie the next day, so they were no good.

September I had a telephone appointment and a different Dr prescribed me some tablets that are anti-histamine, but are given for insomnia. They work, but I don't want to be reliant on tablets, so only take one now and then. She suggested like the other Dr, it was because there is a drop in estrogen after a certain age that causes it. Estrogen had already been added to the long list of medication I'm given. Don't ask me how many tablets I take, I could write a book about them!

So I suffer, and wonder what I can do, any ideas? I've recently read about banana tea?? I think that's a wild idea, what do you think?

Chrisxx

11 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

This might not be what you want to hear, but it might be that you have to embrace early nights and early mornings. I have the same "problem" but no longer see it as a problem. Indeed, I now rather enjoy the hours from 4am onwards. As I say, that is probably not what you want to hear!

jabblog said...

It is so irritating when you wake and can't get back to sleep. Sometimes it helps to consciously relax your body, region by region. Another trick is to breathe in for a count of 6 or 7 or 8 and then out again to a similar number. It doesn't always work . . .

Back2OurSmallCorner said...


I often have the same sleep problem now- dropping off quite quickly but waking an hour or two later to continue a restless night. I think the oestrogen levels probably do have an impact on our sleep though. Don't know what the answer is as I don't want to take any other medications really. I'm just going to try and not worry about it and if I need a rest during the day, so be it.

Marie Smith said...

I am open to suggestion as to what to do about insomnia. I sleep when I can…naps are common here. I gave up struggling with being awake at night. It was the only remedy that helped me.

16 blessings'mom said...

Oh you are not alone! It is NOT fun. It's gotten to when I get a decent night's sleep, I'm just exuberant. Sometimes it's our orange kitty, he meows incessantly to go out, won't stop until you just get up and let him out, and let me tell you, it's hard not to give him an extra boost out the door with my foot ha. Because I am awake, wide awake. Sometimes I just wake up for no reason, like this fine morning, at four o'clock. I tossed and turned. Husband's alarm went off at 5:45, he got up and went into the bathroom, and wouldn't you know I dozed off then? Not for long, he came back out and the dog came in wagging...ugh. I was awake. May as well get up. I'm sorry this happens to you, and I wish I had some answers. I try lying still as a statue and ignoring all the body aches and pains that start chiming in. I try to think about lying on the beach, or floating in the pool...sometimes I manage to fall back to sleep, but honestly, I've woken myself back up just by being conscious I'm falling back to sleep and getting so happy about it! Best of luck to you...

Mari said...

This is so frustrating! It doesn't happen to me often, but it seems like when it does, it's on a day I need to get up and go to work, which makes for a very long day! I know it happens to a lot of women and I wish I had some good ideas for you.

Linda said...

I am a few years younger than you. Same problem. I take a low-dose Xanax every night, along with 5 mg melatonin. It gets me to sleep (without it I can’t get to sleep, but I still wake up about 2 or 3 am. I take an ibuprofen, which actually helps almost all of the time. I am British, bit live in US. You can buy melatonin OTC here, but I think not in UK.

Elizabethd said...

Lavender spray on your pillow can sometimes help.

Billie Jo said...

Hello. I am sorry about this. It happens to me occasionally, mostly now, because I get warm. My husband doesn't sleep well and has to listen to a sound machine, which drives me nuts! I just get up and go out to the living room. Have a nice evening, and know you are not alone.

Faith... said...

This also happens to me unfortunately. Like you I take a lot of prescriptions and really do not want to add another to the list if I don't have to. I find that if I turn the heat on my mattress on and then snuggle up under my covers it can help.

Good luck and let us know if you find a solution.

Bless said...

I rarely go to sleep before 3:00 a.m. and am usually just going to bed around 5:00 a.m. Then, I sleep till about 10:00 a.m. Sometimes, the cat wakes me up at around 9:00 a.m. and I give him his breakfast and go back to bed! Not falling asleep was a bit of a problem when I was working and had to get up early. But, now that I'm retired, it's not a problem. I just make sure I schedule any appointments for the afternoon!