Monday 4 March 2024

Spare bed?

 These were a real struggle to finish, I think I had second sock syndrome and couldn't get round to knitting it.

The problem was the dark wool, so the spot light that Dh bought me for my birthday really helped.. as well as that I'd decided to do that pattern that reinforces the heel and when I came to the turn, it all went wrong! But I did it, although if you look really closely you can see the heels look slightly different, but doubt my grandson will notice.  He wears them round the house! I must have made him 8 or 9 pairs. He once told me his mother had stolen a pair to wear in her wellies, so made her a pair too and then it became a tradition that all three grandchildren had a pair for Christmas!

Miserably cold wet afternoon, but as I didn't sleep well last night I was happy to stay inside in my comfy arm chair. Thank you for the suggestions on sleep, but tonight I 'm taking a tablet as we want to go out in the morning.

The daffodils look amazing in the garden and the ones that border the front grass ( can't call it a lawn!) appear to shine at night as we leave our outside lights on and the light reflects off them.  

And a lovely surprise my bestest friend phoned, she and her partner helped with our wedding evening 'do' and served the food.  We are very close and known each other for 40 plus years. She and I always had an arrangement,  that we'd always have a bed spare for each other if we ever needed to run away!! She started her phone call with 'Still got your bed!' I've never needed it nor has she, but we've cried together so many times.

So a lovely afternoon inside, warm, cosy and finished that D*** sock in time for my youngest grandson's birthday. I used to pop £5 in one, but I suppose as there is a rise in the cost of living, it had better be £10.. he is a trainee paralegal so doesn't get a lot at the moment, so this should be enough for coffee and a sandwich?

Chrisxx

7 comments:

Joy said...

I know exactly what you mean by second sock syndrome. I get the same with knitting sleeves and, if it's a smaller size, will do the two sleeves together on the same pair of needles. You can't do that for socks, of course.

They're lovely though!

jabblog said...

So many of the bloggers I follow knit socks that I'm beginning to feel I'm missing out. I just know I would suffer from second sock syndrome, so won't be starting any time soon!

Sue said...

Lovely socks ... and that sounds like a very lovely friendship. xx

Marie Smith said...

Love the socks. Such a great gift.

Long time friends are a blessings!

Have a great week.

Mari said...

Love the socks! I don't see any difference in the heels. I bet that's a favorite gift.
What a blessing to have a friend like that, and her to have you!

Faith... said...

Very cute socks for your grandson! I am sure he appreciates homemade better than store bought and the bonus of the sock fairy can't hurt either.

Sometimes it is just nice to know that there is somewhere to go during those rough times in life, not that you will actually use it.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, https://faithnchls.blogspot.com/

Bless said...

Lovely socks! Lucky grandson to receive them! :)