Saturday 16 March 2024

Why did you decide.....

 .....that you wanted to lose weight? Just one of the questions that was asked in Slimming World this morning.

My first reason wasn't health, but the 95% of clothes I have that don't fit me any more. I haven't always been fat, but in 1988 I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid and my weight gain started there.  I stayed a healthy weight till 2015, maybe just a little more than I had been, ie. size 14 instead of 10/12. Then I broke my arm, my life as it had been, ended. I avoided doing things that caused me pain, the less I did,  the less I wanted to do, and then it was a case of I couldn't do it. I gained weight!

After each operation on my arm,  4 over a period of 3 years, I was back to square one on the road to recovery. I gained weight.

I became paranoid of tripping up and falling again, so I stopped rushing around, walked slowly, got a walking stick to help me and didn't walk as much. I gained more weight!

With lockdown I was anxious, couldn't sleep and I had a few over balancing episodes. My Dr at the time, said she thought it was because my right arm being still, prevented me from balancing and I was always tired. So I bought my 'wheels' called Rhet Butler, because he is so handsome!  And in that second lockdwn, we hardly went anywhere.. staying indoors that time was the worst and I gained even more weight. This was my worst gain!

But instead of getting back into SW, I bought bigger sized clothes, fatal! So now I had clothes that fitted me and I stopped trying.. so basically I want to lose weight to wear some of those lovely clothes that no longer fit me at all... and now I also need to lose weight for my health.

No one is stopping me, so I have to get back into the 'mode' and I can do it.. I don't like a lot of chocolate, don't drink alcohol and my biggest craving is fried foods, and cakes, so we don't fry or bake,  and I can even go without toast! Dh cooks all SW meals and we don't buy foods that tempt us, so we are both back on plan having had a gain because we had 2 weeks off. No more Welsh cakes, or fish n chips and definitely no more Victoria Sponge! (Left after my birthday) And with my wheels I walk quite confidently and quite a distance, altho this wet winter weather has been a bit of a stop-start walking out.

Have you ever really asked yourself why you want to do something; do you need/want to lose weight?


Chrisxx

7 comments:

Joy said...

Good question.
It wasn't a specific decision to lose weight (although I was huge for ever and kept trying and failing miserable - very miserably) but I had to go on a restricted diet for health reasons - gallbladder and I felt so unwell if I ate certain things.
AFter that was all done and dusted and I'd lost a fair bit of weight, not to mention losing a few unhelpful habits along the way, I decided I needed some help to get the rest off and that's when I joined Slimming World and went from there on.
xx

Blods said...

Have you ever thought about doing a walking work out at home? There are loads of videos on Youtube and you need very little space to do them. You might feel much more confident exercising in your own home. There are also lots of sitting exercises on Youtube which would be good for your legs if too strenuous for your arm. I like Lesley Sansone but there really are lots of people to chose from.Hope this helps Blods xx

KirstenM said...

Have you noticed that after a certain age women tend to develop a 'cylindrical' rather than 'curvy' shape? Just look at the dear departed Queen... or me! I am working on losing a bit of weight for health reasons. If I let myself get heavy that's extra work for my already struggling lungs. When I did WW a lot time ago, tomatoes were 'free' as in zero point. I kept a bowl of cherry tomatoes handy to snack on which saved me from many an 'accidental' buscuit.

Ann said...

No one ever asked me why I wanted to lose weight but I can tell you it was because I got to the point where I found myself disgusting. I was at the highest weight I've ever been. I wanted to at least get it down to the healthy range which I've done but I still would like to take off another 5-10 lbs

Marie Smith said...

I’d like to lose some weight. It I refuse to obsess about it which I could easily do. Snacking is the culprit for me. I can cut it out for a few days but once I start…you know how it is.

Good luck my friend!

Latane Barton said...

Oh Chris... I feel your pain. Staying by my husband's side for years on end (9-10) as I slowly slip away due to Alzheimers put the pounds on me.. I weighed nearly 200 when he passed away. I am down to 176 lbs. now but it's taken me a dozen years to do it. Every ounce lost is health gained. Good luck.

Deanna said...

Dear Chris, I hear you. This weight thing is real. The struggle is real. We're real, so we will deal with it in a real way. God bless our journey, d