Monday 20 May 2024

Lost and Found.

We had never realised what a presence our dog Nell was in our garden until recently. We've had cat poop in our flower beds; our veg patch is now protected with environ mesh against cabbage butterflies and that keeps the cats off too. Such a pesk!

On Friday we arrived home after our SW meeting midmorning, to find 2 cats sunning themselves on our patio! Dh rushed out and they skedaddled.. but 2! So we have ready to use, our home made water pistol,  a half filled washing up bottle, which when squeezed shoots water quite a distance. Then later the one popped his head into our open French doors, what a cheek! We were so shocked we failed to respond quickly enough and just shouted and it ran off.

We need a dog, I said and Dh did actually agree, but we won't be getting one.

Then yesterday afternoon, after our Sunday dinner, we were relaxing in the cool of our lounge and there was a dreadful kerfuffle outside, squawking and meowing.. one of the cats had caught a pigeon.. there were feathers everywhere and altho the pigeon escaped, he had  lost a whole lot of feathers and had a bare bum!


It was a pretty tortoiseshell cat like this one, new in our 'road'

Dh picked up a lot of the feathers, but missed a few and later on we saw a sparrow picking up some, so they went to a good cause. We were pleased the pigeon got away, but even more that the feathers were found and going to a sparrow's nest.

Grrrr those cats!

Chrisxx

8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I hate how loose cats kill the young birds! I wish people wouldn’t let them roam freely in the neighbourhood.

Mari said...

Very frustrating! I think the owners of these cats are pretty irresponsible to let them run around like this.

Frugally challenged said...

I used to havae a cat problem but liberal applications of used coffee grounds seem to have deterred them for the most part. I am not a cat lover! And certainly not a cat poo lover!

Sal said...

I’ve had a problem with cats, just lately, as they seem to love my raised bed when it gets very dry. I tried pepper dust, which was uselsss! It never ceases to amaze me that people think their cats can roam in others’ gardens, leave their mess and cause havoc…and worse still when you are bird lovers! So I’m not a cat lover, much to the disgust of many of my friends who constantly bombard me with photos! As you say, Grrrrr! 😁

jabblog said...

People are very cruel to cats. That's why our garden is enclosed so that our cats can enjoy being outside without risking being shot at - some like to use air guns to deter them. They come indoors to use their litter trays.

Lynn and Precious said...

You know I'm an indoor cat lover. Mine have always been inside where they belong. I have too many here that get the birds , spray the catnip, and poop in the beds. But I have idea what kind of deterrent you can use to keep them out. Good luck.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I had a problem with a cat making toilet facilities in one of my veg raised beds last week. After a few choice words I removed the offending row, replanted again with some small bedding plants and covered the whole patch with plastic squares with large holes in.
It will be fine when the plants are bigger. For now the cats and my veg plants are kept apart :-)

Liz Hinds said...

Cats can be a nuisance in gardens.