Saturday 4 May 2024

A Penny Book Shop!


 This little shop with the odd shaped rounded window has opened up as a little café by Fran, who has a 'pod' café on the front prom.  We might pop in just to see it, because my Aunty Glad rented it in the forties.  She was the aunt, who brought me up and paid for me to go to that private girls school. The shop is just round the corner from the street  where we lived.
It was a 'penny' book shop, that is a shop where you paid a penny to rent a book! I have no idea how that worked, I'm just remembering what she told me. She also sold items, because during the war people did what ever they could to survive.

Of course I don't remember this, but I do have somewhere a photograph of me sitting on cushions with a harness on in the  window. There was a pile of rhubarb in front of me, which was from my grandfathers allotment, that she was selling! I was about 18 months old, which was when my mother was ill, and my Aunt was baby sitting!

When I saw it on the Porthcawl FB page advertising its opening as a café, I had to go and look after we'd been to SW. (Slimming world) yesterday. Silly I know and can't possible be true, but when I thought about it, I thought I could remember smelling dusty old books!
What strange things our memories can conjure up! Although there is the probability that I spent some days there after my mother had died, when I was about 4 or 5 as I think I remember it being a narrow shaped interior with shelves of books.
I must look for that old black and white photo.
Chrisxx

15 comments:

Mari said...

It's such a cute little place! I think a little cafe place will do well there.

doodles n daydreams said...

Looking forward to your visit to the tea shop, and maybe it will really smell of dusty old books. I enjoyed your memories :)

Tracy said...

What a sweet little shop.

jabblog said...

I love that window - so elegant.

Joy said...

What a delightful frontage. I agree, memories can be a wonderful thing . . . xx

Sooze said...

I've never heard of a penny bookshop! I suppose it was like an early version of a library.

Lynn and Precious said...

That must have been fun to go back and remember so many things dear to you. And who could resist a shop with that wonderful window! I can just imagine the many ways it would be showing off wares and decorations.

Live and Learn said...

You have to go talk to the new owners. I'm sure that they would love to hear some of the history of the place. If you could find pictures, even better.

Sue in Suffolk said...

What an interesting looking little shop. Hope you find the photo to show the current owner

Latane Barton said...

What memories that place holds for you. I can just imagine you sitting at a little table inside that cute cafe, sipping your tea and reliving times gone by.

Bless said...

That would be a lovely place to visit!

RuthW in MD said...

It is very possible that you remember smelling dusty old books! Both I and my oldest daughter have one memory from when we were each about 15 months old. My mother validated my memory, I validated my daughter's memory. So yes, you can remember something from that far back!

Lowcarb team member said...

That is such a nice frontage.

All the best Jan

Jules said...

It's a lovely shop front. I do hope you manage to find the photograph. X

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

It looks like it will be a lovely little place to have a coffee. The window is very unusual. Enjoy your memories of when you knew it in its previous life.