Sunday 12 May 2024

Some people like to moan!

Somebody was complaining on FB that the grass verges on the approach to our town were uncut and over grown and looked very untidy.

Obviously he hadn't looked hard enough, because the grass itself had thrown up huge spikes of seeded heads that waved with the cross draft as the cars sped along, like a rolling tide coming into the shore.

And dotted in it were the bursts of yellow of Buttercups,

Cowslips,

 

And these bright flowers are called 'Cats Ears'


There are Daisies
And Pink Campion,


Rose bay Willow Herb, 


Dandelions and their seeded puff ball heads

And the stately Hedge Parsley
What's not to like about our country's wayside flowers?
Some people like to sound off about anything.. I'm very happy with the approach to our little town, flat swarths of green are no way as interesting as the longer grass dotted with the jewel colours of our native wild flowers.
What would you prefer?
Chrisxx

14 comments:

doodles n daydreams said...

I like the wild flowers as well.

Sooze said...

Oh, the wild flowers, definitely. They're beautiful.

Liz Hinds said...

I noticed the council man was mowing the sides of the old golf course and cutting down all the beautiful dandelions. It seems a shame but I suspect there will be people complaining if they don't.

Will said...

Roadsides are fascinating collections of plant life. An acquaintance many years ago published an article on how the plant makeup of the verges differed between.main roads that were salted in winter and quieter roads that weren't. He found some significant differences although from this distance in time I don't recall the details.

Mari said...

Very pretty! I love seeing wildflowers!

KirstenM said...

Love the flowers. As long as the verges don't cause access and visibility problems for pedestrians and road users I say leave them long!

Marie Smith said...

Love the wild blooms anywhere. A sign there is no spraying which I really like!

Maggie said...

All the wild flowers and cowparsley look lovely, why would anyone want them cut down!

Tracy said...

Wild flowers are lovely. I once visited a stately home with a glorious meadow in full bloom. There was a sign asking visitors not to walk on the flowers and the man standing next to me snorted "What ******* flowers?!" Sometimes I really do despair of our species!

Live and Learn said...

I'm with you. I like the more natural look.

diane b said...

I agree the wild flowers are so pretty.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I love to see the wild flowers growing at the side of the road.

Lowcarb team member said...

I always enjoy seeing wildflowers.
Locally we have wildflower beds, and they look so beautiful when they bloom, plus of course they encourage pollinating insects and other wildlife.

All the best Jan

Bless said...

I'll take the wild flowers, anytime! Better for the insects and pollinators, too!