Monday 6 May 2024

Can't wait to open these covers.

I have just finished reading this book, it was the Book Group choice for May. Like the other books by Mike Gayle it was an ok read. A story of a young woman's wish to become a museums curator.. well there's no accounting for taste, is there? She, named Jess, actually takes charge of what could be described as a heap of junk and presents each item as a museum piece. Does she make a success of it?  You'll have to read it to find out. I did enjoy reading it, and like other books I've read by Mike Gayle, there was an element of love in it and some twists and turns but no 'fireworks' for me. But as I have read other books by him, he must deem it worth the effort to me.


I had no other library books and then all five reserved books were ready for collection together!

True Colours by Kristin Hannah, My present choice as the top of the list of good authors.. I've read 5  other books by her and loved every one. This one's blurb says it about three sisters who are in strong competition with each another.. this will be my first read!

1979 by Val MacDermid, always a choice if I haven't anything else to read, as her books always keep me hooked and I haven't read one yet, that wasn't a page turner.

Friendly Fire by Patrick Gale, I have read several books by this author, my favourite being 'A Place Called Winter,' I have been to three talks by Patrick and he writes his first draft by hand! Anyway this book Friendly Fire, caught my interest as it is set in a boarding school and as I went to a boarding school, I thought it would be interesting, but I don't think it will be anything like my school, as the blurb states Sophie, the main protagonist has tough lessons outside school to learn, of class, sex, families and emotional disaster they can bring to even the most privileged lives.. ooo-er.. I wonder what that will be like?

Winter's Mourn by Mary Stone, is a new author to me, listed as book #1 of  5 so hope I like it as there are others. The blurb suggests its a masterful conceived psychological thriller, so can't wait to open the covers.

Reflection by Diane Chamberlain. My go to author when I want a comfortable read. Comfortable meaning, I like the stories, the writing style and I don't want to be frightened! However this book has secrets, love, lies and betrayal, a slow burning drama set in a small town still grieving for the past, sounds just my sort of read!

All these books will keep me happy for a few weeks and I'll happily traipse off to bed early each night to settle down to read. Thank goodness for books!

Chrisxx

9 comments:

Mari said...

I've read True Colours and it's good. I really like her books!

Live and Learn said...

I'm always on the lookout for a good book. Thanks for your suggestions.

Sooze said...

Ooh, Val MacDermid, I like her books, I'll have to look out for that one.

Lynn and Precious said...

I see some interesting titles there. I will have to see if we have any of these over here at the library. Happy reading.

Maggie said...

I've only read True Colours from your library haul, I do like most of her books, recently finished The Women by her, that was a good one.

doodles n daydreams said...

I've not read any of those books and I'm not a fan of psychological thrillers, I find I get quite anxious when reading them. But I do like a good thriller or murder mystery. Like you I do my reading in bed, mainly.

Julia said...

Thank you for the book suggestions. I received a new book for my birthday last week "A Villa with a View" by Julie Caplin. I've read several of her books and they've all been wonderful. Happy reading!

Lowcarb team member said...

Nice to see your books here, I wish you happy reading.

All the best Jan

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Enjoy all your books, Chris.