Tuesday 28 May 2024

Why are we different?

 Why do we like different things, have you ever wondered that? What colours our judgements, is it our up bringing, education, life experiences? I often wonder.. 

For example books:- 

So many people raved about this book, so I got it from the library and took it back with a DNF note on my lists. I didn't hate, it but it didn't appeal to me and my mind kept wandering and as I turned the pages I realised I hadn't taken in what was written!


But this one, that a lot of readers did not like I loved. In fact I read it twice, because it was chosen for the Book Group I belong to and on the second reading, I read stuff I'd missed the first time. When some of the group said they didn't like it and thought Eleanor was unlikeable, I wondered if we had read the same book! I loved her quirky ways and understood her need for routine, it was safe!


I've had my views totally changed by some books. I looked up the reviews of Mad Honey, as it was suggested that it was a 'marmite' book. You either loved it or hated it. So I approached it with some trepidations. 


Trans gender issues have never been in my sphere of understanding, and one of the comments had a spoiler alert,  that this book dealt with trans gender issues. I read it and didn't just enjoy it, it opened my mind to how it can just be something that is there, whether you are willing or not. And a very young person, who wanted to be a different gender to that which had been written on their birth certificate, was ok. Jodi Picoult wrote this book with Jennifer Finney Boylan, a trans gender person. It was heart rendering and I was very emotional reading it. It changed how I thought of trans gender people.


And yet this wildly acclaimed book was not for me! When I started to read it, it was fine. I liked the storying, the style of  how it was written, then even before I was a quarter of the way through, it lost me. It was 700 pages long and I thought, do I want to read a story like this. Life's too short to read books you don't like' is a mantra I often say. Whether it is alright to write about anything you like, for me its a no no. So I couldn't bring myself to read it.

But this book by Patrick Gale was amazing and dealt with the same subject as 'The Hearts Invisible Furies.'

The author thought that the character, Harry Cane could have been his great grand father, living back in the 1920s when homosexuals were imprisoned.
A shy middle class man, who abandoned his wife and child and emigrated to Canada, to a place called Winter. A beautiful story full of emotion, hard work and heart ache. I loved reading it. Dh and I had the pleasure of listening to Patrick Gale talking about it. when he was a guest at the Essex Literary Festival. 

So I ask again what is it in our make up that defines what we like, while other people hate what we like?

To all intents and purposes I had a Victorian up bringing, as it was my grand mother, born 1887,  who brought me up, it was very straight-laced and narrow... but I had a wide education in a school that taught me, that I could have my own opinions and a BIG local library! And my Aunt bought me a set of Arthur Mees encyclopedias and I read all 10 volumes cover to cover, so it kind of straightened out my narrow up bringing. I still do have some hang ups, I couldn't wear trousers in church even if you paid me, but other things are in the past!
What about you?

Chrisxx

10 comments:

Lynn and Precious said...

I have read "Where the crawdays sing" and also watched the movie. I liked both.
You have some interesting other titles that I may look for.

Live and Learn said...

I didn't think "Where the Crawdads Sing" was the best book ever as many acclaimed. I thought the descriptions were beautiful, but the story had several plot flaws. I have learned from many years of book club discussions that the group generally liked or disliked the same parts of the book. Whether the like or dislike part was stronger for the person determined if they said they liked the book or not.

Sooze said...

Whilst I do read reviews of both books and films, I take them with a pinch of salt and don't let them influence my decision to read or watch. They're only someone else's opinion and as we're all different and like/dislike different things (as you say), then there's no guarantee I'll have the same opinion. But what a boring world it would be if we all had exactly the same tastes! Oh, I loved the Eleanor Oliphant book.

Mari said...

It is interesting how people can have such different opinions.
I read the first two books you listed and really liked both of them.

Traveller said...

Looks like we have similar taste in books. I also DNF’d Crawdads, loved E Oliphant and thought The Hearts invisible was awful. I have Patrick Gayle on my TBR, will bring him up the list.

I really enjoyed The House of Doors, so that would be my recommendation

Will said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Will said...

My parents bought my brother and I the Arthur Mee's Encyclopedia, and we both spent many hours immersed in the volumes. Interestingly, one of my uncles, when he and my aunt visited, would always bury himself in these volumes, and leave my mother and aunt to their gossip catch-up.

Marie Smith said...

My choice of books changed with exposure to different types of literature at book club. I’ve come to enjoy Canadian fiction which I wouldn’t have said 15 years ago. Still, I always come back to mysteries. I enjoy varied opinions on a book as they help me see things I might have missed or saw in a different light. Such fun!

Liz Hinds said...

I loved Eleanor Oliphant - though she was very unlikeable at first. Also didn't finish Heart's Invisible Furies, and didn't fancy Crawdads. We seem to have similar taste!

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

It's nice to hear what books other people have enjoyed and recommend but the proof of the pudding is in eating it yourself. Tastes differ which is a good thing :-)