Thursday 1 August 2024

Drs or the Aged?

 I didn't vote Labour, but always thought they were the party for the 'people'.. but todays announcement of stopping the OAP winter fuel allowance must have shocked thousands.

It seems they are blaming the previous government for the lack of funds. Sounds a bit like when the Tories won in 2010 and were told the coffers were empty!

Where did the money go this time? Well I think Covid was in part, some of the cause.. People, who had to have Universal Credit because lock down prevented them doing their work, all those who were self employed. Extra money to the NHS, the equipment, and PPE etc, people who had to work less hours, so less tax, and what about the tests, the vaccines? It didn't come without its costs.

And what about Brexit, or was it the Tories living it up, is that the cause of this 'Black hole' where the money went?

But what ever, why stop money that would help the most vulnerable?

OAP can't go on strike! And to the argument put forward by Angela Rayner that there are OAPs, who could apply for extra benefits, what a cheek! Many old people don't qualify for these benefits, because they budget and live within their means. But they're not well off and certainly valued that extra fuel allowance money. And I would guess a lot of the Labour vote came from these older people.

No one would deny that Drs are not important and work hard, but do they have to look for the cheapest food on supermarket shelves, wear extra woolies and live in one room to save heating costs, in their homes. Are they the people struggling with their food trollies on buses, or going to centres, opened for old people as 'warm hubs?'. I think not!

You may not agree with me, but I say 'Shame on you Labour Govt!'

Chrisxx

9 comments:

sandy said...

I bet you the MP’s get a rise this year

Anonymous said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Denying pensioners the winter fuel allowance is a spiteful move. So many of us rely on that extra money. I hope the hospitals and surgeries will be able to cope with the increase in patient numbers due to hyperthermia and poor nutrition. What will we lose next? free prescriptions, free eye tests, our bus passes. Sad days ahead.

Linda said...

My brother always uses his winter fuel payment to go on a fly fishing trip tp Ireland.

Traveller said...

I think it was the right thing to do. Why should people get a government hand out just because they are old? King Charles would qualify, Mick Jagger. One in five people in the UK who are over 65 have a total wealth over £1,000,000. People in their twenties come out of university with debt and dream of getting on the housing ladder.

When I went to university in the 1970s, I was given a grant (non repayable) from which I could live in London. I graduated with no debt and money in the bank. It is only right I will no longer get the winter fuel allowance.

Janet Evans said...

There is a petition on the AGE UK website against stopping the winter fuel allowance. I would urge everybody to sign. Some people will not struggle to pay their bills, but others certainly will. This is the link https://www.ageuk.org.uk/

Will said...

That figure of 1 in 5 having a total wealth in excess of £1M is trotted out to justify the "all pensioners are wealthy" tag line, however for a very substantial fraction of these, that "wealth" is tied up in a house, and they have little disposable income beyond the state pension, probably just enough savings to deny them access to pension credits. And, for the older pensioners, they have the old state pension, not the more generous new pension.

Anonymous said...

Hypothermia

Moira said...

Great it is giving him enjoyment and a purpose

Moira said...

I will be fine but lots won’t and they are also not entitled to pension credit, the answer is to make it taxable income then the poor will still get their money. I have written to my MP and the Chancellor I don’t think anything will be done but people in power need to know we are angry or they will cut something else. The Conservatives cut the TV license, so what next, when you retire it is very hard to increase your income.