Tuesday 13 August 2024

Could you be an Olympian?

 So the  2024 Olympics are finished. Dh and I have talked about our own sport experiences. There wasn't a lot of sport in my young life. I started school 1946 age 4 and I can't remember any games or PE lessons until I was 7.. then we were all given a pair of these, black plimsolls,  nick named Daps, because of the sound they make as you run along.


Then my education in PE started. I can remember all the girls had to put our dresses in our Knickers and the boys had to take off their long trousers and wore shorts. 
We were all given a rolled up raffia mat and in a line we marched off into the playground.
There we unrolled our mats and with a teacher in front of us, all lined in rows, we copied him. 
We did running on the spot, jumping up and down, star jumps and then we laid down on our mats.  
I can remember us doing cycling with our legs and that was it.
We had finished, we rolled up our mats and matched back into the cloak room and put our daps in a numbered wire cage and told to remember our number.. don't know if I did, because I don't remember doing it again!
I suppose it was the Governments' attempt to get us children stronger after WW2!

I did a bit of games in my secondary School, no PE but hockey and netball.. but nothing else. So I don't think I would have been an Olympian.
But I do like watching it; we watched quite a bit, but hadn't realised that the BBC wasn't the main company so missed the tennis final, but never mind we saw Andy Murray and Dan Evans' wild celebrations, on getting through the second round of the men's doubles tennis. That was worth anything to see their jumping around, they were so delighted.


Could you be an Olympian?

Chrisxx

17 comments:

Joy said...

We called the 'pumps' and us girls had to strip down to knickers and vests at primary - at secondary we had a PE uniform) - I'm so glad that doesn't happen nowadays.
I was useless, always one of the last to be chosen and it put me off team games for life. Not very happy memories, really! :-) xx

Jules said...

I could most definitely NOT be an Olympian. Their commitment and dedication to their sport is incredible.
I don't remember ever enjoying P.E. when I was at school.
I hope you're feeling better now. Xx

Bless said...

If being a couch potato becomes an Olympics sport, I think I'd easily qualify to become an Olympian! LOL. I enjoyed watching the games.

jabblog said...

I was quite good at athletics but haven't got the competitive spirit so woudl never have been an Olympian,. even if I'd had the necessary talent.
I didn't realise Daps were named for the sound they made.

Tracy said...

I was rubbish at sport at school and am not at all competitive, so I could never have become an Olympian.

Live and Learn said...

I don't have the natural ability it would take to be an Olympian, let alone the dedication and sacrifice it would take to become one. But I do appreciate those who have those things.

Sooze said...

Nope, I wasn't good at sports at school, hated them in fact. We called them 'plimmies'.

Granny Sue said...

I was quite good at sports and loved to play. But an Olympian? No. There are so many other, better things to do with one's life. I think.

Marie Smith said...

Not me. I was musical, piano and choir. I hated sports but my brother played everything, except tennis. I was quite happy singing and playing.

Mari said...

I could never be an Olympian. I'm not a sports fan and or athletic. My oldest daughter is a runner and does lots of races - don't know where she got that!

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

I'll bet you're right about PE being introduced in schools because of a government program. Snacks like milk, raisins and apples were brought into school after WWII because the armed services found too many young men couldn't get drafted because of diseases caused by poor nutrition. Until a few years ago I still had the pamphlet the Defense Department put out to teach parents how to feed their children to build healthier bodies.

Jennifer said...

I thought your description of early PE classes/training was cute. Made me smile. Not exactly strenuous:) But would definitely be my speed for PE and other types of sports. Sporty I am not!! Don't really enjoy watching sports at all either - so did not catch much of the Olympics!

Angela said...

I asked for extra maths lessons in a vain attempt to get out of hockey. I never got them, just horribly bruised shins

Kezzie said...

I'm not at all sporty though I console myself in the Keyworker school we had to run in lockdown, our sports coach and I were paired together in a team and we did a challenge one day of how many star jumps we could do in a minute and the sportscoach was mortified I beat him by 10!!! I won't ever let him forget that!
In infant school, we did PE in our knickers and vest. I will never forget the day the elastic went in my knickers and they fell down. I was mortified and the whole hall burst into raucous laughter! AHHHH!x

Maggie said...

I liked hockey and badminton at secondry school but hated rounders and netball. I don't like watching any sports on tv and am not particularly sporty now

doodles n daydreams said...

I thought I could be but my coach didn't. My sport in summer was swimming and I was in the pool whenever I could be.

Fat Dormouse said...

I was told that the name DAPs came from "Dunlop Athletic Plimsolls" but I don't know if that's true. I've never heard about it being from the sound they make. We used to just call them pumps. (from Liverpool)