Thursday 15 August 2024

Goldilocks!

 For quite a long time I've been complaining our bed is too high for me to get in comfortably.. more or less since I first broke my arm, 9 years ago! Other things have cropped up and we did nothing about it.

So yesterday we decided we would go and not just look, but actually buy a new bed. The one we have now is 15 years old, but still very comfortable, its just I can't just sit on it and swing my legs up onto to it with out a struggle, my legs aren't long enough, you could  say I'm a 'short arse'

We measured our present bed and the mattress so we were prepared. We went to a well known bed shop, not too far away and with a large car park.

The shop was huge with probably about 60 to 80 beds there. Another couple about our age were walking round too. As we passed each other, she said, 'Nothing is simple these days is it?' And I agreed.

I began to feel overwhelmed and could have burst into tears. So many beds, different makes, heights, mattresses.. too many!  The salesman was very nice and not a bit pushy, even offered us a cup of tea.

Eventually we found one that was just right except it had one of those high head boards, which we didn't want and also the mattress sunk into the base, and very blue, so really not what we wanted at all, but it was the perfect height, I got onto the mattress quite easily and lay there, perfect, not too firm and not too soft, in fact just right!

The salesman showed us a bed without that sort of base, without the high head board, and not blue,  but the same mattress and the height we wanted..we'd found it, the bed for us...  it was just right!

All we have to do now is win the lottery to pay for it!

Chrisxx

9 comments:

jabblog said...

I'm pleased for you that you found the right bed. It's so important to be comfortable in bed.

Jules said...

Mind you don't burn your mouth on the porridge ;)
I'm glad you found what you were looking for, in the end. Xx

Lynn and Precious said...

I do not envy all the furniture shopping you have done this summer. It is one thing that I have always dreaded when needed. Nice of the salesman to be so considerate. Not sure I ever experienced that, not even years ago when service was better.

Live and Learn said...

We bought a new mattress this year, and it was quite a job to sort out all of the options. In fact, we had started to get one a couple times and gave up after trying to figure out all of the choices. But we have a new one now and are happy with our choice. I hope your new mattress works as well for you.

Mari said...

It's true, those decisions are not easy. Glad you found one - now to buy it!

Granny Sue said...

That does sound like a marathon! So glad you found what you needed. Our bed is very high too. I had Larry build me a step, but it doesn't feel safe, so I still hoist myself in. I am worried, though, about how I will manage after I get my knee replaced. Our mattress is fairly new, and the bed is antique and I love it. So maybe I will sleep on the hide-a-bed for a while, until my knee heals.

Misadventures of Widowhood said...

Bed height became an issue for me last year when I was recovering from some broken ribs. I was lucky to be able to keep my bed but get a lower frame under the mattress. I still miss my high bed for the look it gave the room but as we age we have to accept that safety comes before all else. Glad you found the just right bed.

doodles n daydreams said...

A good bed is essential to a good nights sleep isn't it? I'm pleased you found one just right for you. Good luck with the lottery :)

Bless said...

Glad you found the right bed! Hope you win the lottery soon so you can purchase it!