Monday 11 December 2023

My new found author.

This author has really caught my love of reading. Simple stories written beautifully. If you can be in love with an author, I love this one.. her stories aren't exciting but so very engaging.  So far I've read, Talk Before Sleep, Say When,  Until the Real Thing Comes Along and this one, The Year of Pleasures. 
She is able to create a warmth and a wisdom about her characters that engages you from the very first sentence.  Women talking together as old friends do. A Year of Pleasures is about Betta, whose husband has died. She relied totally on him and not surprisingly is lost without him.
But against all advice she decides to sell their home and move somewhere else.  She doesn't have a plan, except to take back roads, so she can drive through little towns, just as her husband John suggested might be a good thing to do. She stops at one, looks around and decides it is the one for her.
Her year of pleasures are simple things, a warm bath, good food, the beauty of nature, music and art and the kindness of people. Her journey from grief to a new found happiness is an inspirational to anyone who has lost a great love and a great read.
Written so beautifully, I loved every word!
Chrisxx

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have just ordered this book on Ebay. Your description sounded so appealing that I tracked it down immediately. Will look into some of the other titles. Love your blog which I have been reading for a very long time (I am in North Wales & my husband's relatives live in Essex)
Wendy (Wales)

Granny Marigold said...

I think I've read every single one of Elizabeth Berg's books. The Year of Pleasures is/was my absolute favourite. I rated that one as well as Say When and Until the Real Thing...as 9 1/2 (for some reason I rated them according to how much I liked them. ) I see I gave Home Safe and Open House only 3 1/2.

For some reason I can't see the pictures on your blog. I wonder if anyone else has had that problem.
Thanks for visiting my blog. I enjoy 'meeting' new bloggers.
Granny Marigold

Back2OurSmallCorner said...


Thank you for introducing this author. Enjoy the rest of your week x

Danielle L Zecher said...

This sounds like my kind of book; I love character driven stories. I need to see if our library has it.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the introduction to a new author. I look forward to finding some of these books at my library! Nice to have found your blog:) Happy Friday!

Bless said...

Thank you for the book review. I will see if the library has a copy.