Wednesday 20 December 2023

What is old?

Its my birthday! I'm old,  but I never envisaged being this old when I was young, but as three of my friends have died in the last few years I am grateful and feel blessed I have got to the age I am.

When I was about 13 or 14 and in school, (it was an all girls boarding school) we had a new teacher start, called Miss Howells, she taught the science subjects and I was in her biology class. I loved her, she was fairly new in teaching and chatted to us, unlike the other teachers. We learned she was 28 and I thought wow that's old and no boyfriend!

Coming up to Valentines Day I decided to send her a Valentine Card. I sent it to a cousin living in the Midlands for her to post it from there. On the day,  we all asked Miss Howells, not had she had a card, but how many cards had she received?  she shyly said, that she had received one and blushed. I was so pleased that she was pleased... 

When I think back now, perhaps it was a bit cruel to send the card, but there was no malice in my action, I just thought a lot of her and admired her and loved her . When I left she signed my Autograph book, saying..'Keep learning and smiling' I kept that book for years and then over the years it disappeared, but I have always remembered her. I did well in Biology, but don't all children excel in subjects when they like the teacher?

I often met children I had taught, while I still lived in Essex and sad to say some of the names were forgotten, but the ones who bounced up to me smiling and obviously happy to see got my most beaming smile and the comment, 'And what are you doing these days?' (Note no name!)

The photograph is of the beautifully wrapped presents from my lovely husband.

Chrisxx

9 comments:

Buttercup said...

Happy birthday wishes! I never dreamed I'd get to the age I am now -- 73. It seems so "old" and I really don't feel very old at all.

Tracy said...

I seem to remember when I was a child it was much more common to send valentine cards to friends and family as a sign of affection, whereas now it is just a romantic thing. So I don't think you were being cruel, especially since you held her in such high regard.

Sooze said...

Happy birthday! Your husband is a super wrapper, well done him.

Joy said...

Wishing you a very, very happy birthday. xx

Billie Jo said...

Happy Birthday! Have a blessed and lovely day.

Latane Barton said...

Happy Birthday, Chris. Aren't we lucky to live long and enjoy life!! Have a great day and a wonderful Christmas. Hugs, Latane

Marie Smith said...

Happy birthday. Hope it’s a great day!

My biology teacher was Mrs. Doyle. She was the reason I did a degree in biology. Wonderful teachers like Mrs. Doyle earn their wings.

Chris said...

You`re only as old as you feel. Some days I feel all my 81 years but others I`m as frisky as when I was 60! I`m sure you had a wonderful birthday regardless of the number count.

Polly said...

Belated birthday greetings, I hope you have a happy birthday year. I say exactly the same as you, I don't like getting old, but I'm grateful to get this far. Your presents do look lovely.