Sunday 10 April 2022

Do you have favourites?

I have had the opportunity of going to two talks by this author, Patrick Gale, at book Festivals.
He was very entertaining and his book 'A Perfectly Good Man.' was given to our book group before it was published so we could review it.
He writes the first drafts in an A4 note book, by hand!
I've read most of his books and loved some, especially 
'A Place Called Winter' 
A story about a man called Harry Cane, a shy young man in Edwardian England.
He marries but discovers something about himself, that forces him to flee to a place called Winter, a town in remote Canada.
Called then the 'Forbidden Love', Harry struggles to learn the skills required to build a homestead from scratch, but what was more important was Harry coming to terms with his sexuality.
Patrick Gale is a great writer, who is able to write about sensitive issues and his prose is fluid and moving.
When speaking about this book Patrick Gale suggested that this was possibly his great grand father.
Interestingly he said he didn't write his stories in a chronological thread! That is, he writes sections and then fits them onto the story, from the overall plan. He researches and takes two years to write his books.
I'm presently reading his latest book,
'A Mother's Boy' and thoroughly enjoying it. And there are 6 more I haven't read yet.


Anita Shreve (1946-2018)

I was so sad when I read of this author's death. I had bought and read all of her books, after I read that first one, 'The Pilot's Wife.' I couldn't read them fast enough. 

The Pilot's Wife is about Kathryn Lyons, whose husband Jack, an airline pilot is killed when his plane crashes. Trying to come to terms with his death and working with his airline, she finds out things that makes her realise she didn't know her husband at all. And things come to light, which showed he was leading a double life. 
The book was made into a film, which was good and true to the story.

I was shopping when I saw her then latest book 'Fortunes Rock,' and wanted to buy it, but it was a hard back and £14.99 so I thought a bit too pricey.. when I got home and told my daughter about the book, she said..'But she's your favourite author and if it was for some one else you would have bought it!'
So I drove the 12 miles right back and bought it.  

Her last book 'The Stars are Fire,' was published after her death.. Another lovely book..
These are just two of my favourite authors and why do I love their books, because every story is different, none are similar. The language is good, and the writing has great sensitivity, the stories flow, and the characters come alive. I always feel bereft when I have finished one and struggle to get into another book for a while.
Reading has always been one of my greatest pleasures. I grew up a lonely child, without a TV and lost myself in books. 

    Do you have favourites?

Chrisxx



4 comments:

My Creative Life said...

I've not heard of either authors. I've been reading Miss Read - Thrush Green series which is very light reading. I then moved onto the Fairacre series but am not enjoying it as much. I've read a lot of Debbie Macomber's books but don't want to read another. I'm reading through a couple of series, whilst reading my own books. A favourite author - I don't think I have one. There are always things that I don't agree with e.g. Miss Read Fairacre series mentions kids having adonoids out for improvement. Cx

Eileen H said...

I don't read much now as I have a problem with my right eye. Your daughter is right though, if there's something you would really love to have and you can afford it then buy it.

Fat Dormouse said...

I love Patrick Gale - I particularly enjoyed Notes From An exhibition, but also A PLace Called Winter and Rough Music.

I saw a short interview with him with Rick Stein, in "RS's "Cornwall" - it was interesting.

meandmysmallcorner said...


To my shame I haven't read anything for a while but I will try and remember these two authors and look out for their books.