Thursday 14 April 2022

14th, April the day my life changed.

 14th April is not a good date in my life. 

7 years ago I tripped and broke my right humerus.. and my life totally changed.

It wouldn't heal and 4 ops didn't do much, except to cause me a lot of pain. It still hasn't healed properly and is still very tender. 

I no longer can garden using my right arm, I can't dig.

If I can't do it left handed I don't do it.

I fail at cooking, because I can't lift anything just slightly heavy and I can't raise my right arm up to stir liquids.

I struggle dressing, I struggle doing anything that needs two hands.

I struggle drying and styling my hair

I rely on my husband for a lot of things.

And what I really miss is driving.

I have nightmares where I can feel myself tripping and falling.

And sometimes dreadful weepy days when I've tried to do something and failed.

For 7 years I've thought of that first Dr,  who said they didn't do plating and pins on fractures to hold the bones together to help them heal, and just relied on the bone healing as long as the bone was in alinement.. mine didn't!

A year later a surgeon did pin and plate it,  but it was too late and the bone wouldn't hold the pins. 

Then he had another try, which failed again.

I went to my own GP in tears, who said get an appointment at the Royal London Orthopaedic Hospital.. and so 2 years after I broke my arm, I did.. By this time non use of my arm had caused it to dislocate, so I had 2 huge ops, 6 hours long, a lot of horrible unbelievable pain.. And here I am, with limited use of my arm and and still days of pain,  7 years after my fall.

Without my right arm I'm not able to balance properly hence why I bought my Rhett (wheels).. Just a simple trip totally changed my life!

Chrisxx


11 comments:

Eileen H said...

Oh I'm so sorry to learn of your disability, seven years of living with your difficulties and being in pain is truly awful. I can well imagine you are scared of falling again. I don't know what wheels you mean is it a walker? I bought one after my breast cancer treatment as I was so weak but now my husband uses it and what a blessing it is so he can sit when he needs to. I am sure today is a horrible anniversary for you x

Poppypatchwork said...

Independance is so important, we do like to do things ourselves, I have read your blog for years, and read your pain and frustration. You battle on doing as much as you can, which is brilliant, sadly we trust medical advice, but they are not always correct.

Margaret said...

What a saga for poor you. From such a little thing as a fall big changes to life can occur. I hope you can have a lot of good days in Spring and Summer so you can stock pile the happy memories.

Joan (devon) said...

I understand how you are feeling as one of the falls I had also shattered my wrist like yours. After painful manipulation then an operation it was decided that it should be broken again and redone as it wasn't healing properly. I still have pins in the wrist and I have lost strength in it also like you, but it isn't painful, which is a blessing for me as I have so much pain everywhere else.

I had a fall which changed my life too, but it wasn't this one.

Carin said...

Oh my that is terrible to read this. I'm sad for you that you still in pain after all those years.
I hope that one day they have a solution for you.

My Creative Life said...

Oh Chris that sounds terrible, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Like a previous comment... we trust the professionals to get it right. My Dad had a knee replacement many years ago, apparently the spacers put in were too narrow, he would never be able to bend his leg. He suffered for several years before something was done about it. The surgeon concerned kept his distance and totally blanked my Dad when he was seen again at the hospital. With Osteoarthritis he's in enough constant pain anyway. Thankfully his leg is sorted but it puts you off going back. I do hope that something can be done for you in the future.

Bless said...

I am so sorry that today marks the anniversary of your life-changing fall! It must be so difficult to be in pain for so long and try to manage every day tasks without using both arms and hands. I have osteopenia (the precursor to osteoporosis) and I am very afraid of falling (which I seem to do every so often!) and breaking any bones! I hope your pain will lessen and the use of your arm will improve. (((HUGS)))

Joanne Noragon said...

I so relate. My broken femur last October has let me with a walker!

Joy said...

I'm so sorry that this has been such a life changing thing for you - it sounds awful.
Lots of love
xx

hazel c UK said...

I think about you Chris you are very brave in the way you cope and you give me the confidence to keep going. I had a stroke 4 years ago and life is so different now, I live on my own, I lost my son last year but am so lucky to have a wonderful daughter who gets my shopping and 2 grandchildren so I am so grateful.
Take care Chris I wish you live near to me I am sure we could help each other. Enjoy the sunshine and all the new flowers and singing of the birds.
Hazel 🌈🌈🐥🐥

meandmysmallcorner said...


Like everybody else I am sending you love. You have been very brave with so much pain to cope with and also the difficulties of everyday life. I do hope that there are better days ahead for you.