Monday 14 October 2024

Book Group Book.

 I still have nights when I wake and can't get back to sleep and last night was one of those. It was 3 am, I tried snuggling back down after a loo visit, but half an hour later I was still awake, not wide awake but not sleepy.. so after another loo visit I switched on my bedside lamp and got my book. (The light doesn't bother Dh) I thought it would give me a chance to finish our Book Group book. 


Frank 75, a retired writer and academic receives an invitation to a funeral of an old friend to take place in Milan, Italy. Being reclusive, he has no idea of what is happening in the world, and is unaware of the increasing covid epidemic that is unfolding.
In Milan he finds he can no longer ignore what is happening in the wider world, when he finds himself quarantined in his hotel by the escalating restrictions. By nature introspective and self absorbed the reader is privy to his inner most thoughts and reflections and he becomes very real. 

There is a vast contrast between Frank and the family hiding out in the attic, who by his invitation, joined him in his room. One dispossessed family, that would struggle at the best of times and a man cultured, educated, who became involved with them, as they huddled down together at the height of the epidemic, brought a realistic edge to the story. 
It was an expertly written book, well paced, an absorbing and resonant read and certainly a convincing covid novel.
It just wasn't for me, but being the Group book, I read it, perhaps you might like it?
Chrisxx

No comments: