Thursday 10 October 2024

A gardener's tale.

 Every morning the first thing I do is walk through the lounge to look out of the French doors to view the garden. If its not raining I step out onto the top of the steps and peer up and down. I smell the air, look at the furthest flower bed, is there a new flower, is there anything new to see, how is the shape of the little scented tree? It all brings great joy to me. I listen to the birds, and when the wind is in a certain direction, I  can hear the sea! Some mornings I see the geese flying across  from the nature reserve to Ogmore. I used to walk round in my dressing gown, but after my fall I am wary, so wait till I've dressed.. one thing falling fully dressed, but in my nightie??

We had a lovely couple of hours on Monday afternoon, the sun was shining and it felt warm. Our garden is south-west facing so good for lots of plants, but would you believe too hot for some others, which flower one year and then disappear, but I keep trying, so I plant snowdrops every year!  But it means we can grow some very nice grapes!

With all the tidying up, I also reduced the height of the crab apple tree so it will bush out. I had a beautiful one in my garden in Billericay and I made jars of crab apple jelly, to which I added  different herbs and gave away to friends.

Here's one of my end of the summer pots... ready to go for a winter sleep in the garage. A bit sad to see the end of summer.


And the cosmos all looking a bit end of summer weary.


Once these have died down  I shall fill it with even more bulbs!

And my new spring pots already planted  with daffodils, and tulips and grit to protect (I hope) against the squirrels.


 I gently pruned some of the roses, just to their 'knees' in Autumn, it will be down to their 'ankles' in spring! And the clematis too, remembering 'flower before June, don't prune!' All the sayings I learnt as a new gardener so many years ago, have helped me through the years.

Dh was going to power wash the patio, but with the rain showers we decided to just get the patio ready for the next dry fine day, not safe on a day with sudden showers,  as it is electric.
 I just love my garden, and  it was surprise,  because of covid lockdown we didn't view the property, altho my son videoed the bungalow for us, I was a bit concerned about the garden, would it be too small? Truth be told it's a bit too big, but we haven't made it labour intensive so we're coping!
Do you love your garden?
Chrisxx 

No comments: