Wednesday 2 October 2024

A different book for me.

Sometimes we read to be entertained; sometimes to be inspired; sometimes to escape and inhabit another world, this book delivers on all of these and leaves us a better person. 

But it was not the sort of genre I usually read, but it was offered as free kindle book and I liked the title, its a romantic novel! I am so glad I got because I really, really liked it!


It centers around Kit, a Dr working in an emergency dept in a California hospital. Then her life totally changes while watching a news item about a fire in a Club in New Zealand, because she thinks she see her dead sister in the crowd watching the camera crew! She goes to her Mother's, who has also seen what appears to be her daughter supposedly killed 15 years earlier. 

Kit travels to New Zealand to look for her sister.. and so the story unravels. It is an amazing story, the girls had a turbulent upbringing, their parents too wrapped up in their own relationship to notice anyone else. She and her sister Josie are left to their own devices. I loved the way the story unfolds from the perspective of the two sisters; loved the description of the sibling rivalries only to discover they envied each other; loved the way the idyllic childhood was explored then slowly disintegrated.
The style of writing was almost poetical and I loved it. I felt invested in the characters and though the action switched in time and between the two characters, I didn't find the story line disjointed.
Its a book well worth reading and although there was sadness and neglect, there was a satisfactory ending, though to some it might seem contrived.. but that's the nature of romantic novels, but I loved it and have bought a couple more of  Barbara O'Neal's books! 
I hope you'll enjoy it too!

Chrisxx 

No comments: