Wednesday 10 April 2024

Once Upon a Time!

 Ice on the inside of the bedroom window, toes on a hot water bottle.

 Spiders in the outside lav, with paper on a meat hook on the back of the door.  I never closed the door at night, but sat there swinging my legs, looking at the stars.

Sunny all day, playing out in the back lane.  Pushing my dolls in my pram with Kay and Margaret, wonder where they are today?

Days on the allotment with my grandfather, eating too many gooseberries and then tummy ache! Bless him, to keep me clean, off came my dress and on with a wheat sack, so I went home with a clean dress and filthy knicks where I'd sat playing in the mud!

Sweet shop round the corner and 5 for a penny.                             Dandelion and Burdock pop.                                                            Tinned peaches and Evaporated milk for Sunday tea and bread and butter!                                                                                                     Play clothes and a set of Sunday best clothes and school uniform. 

Toes cut out of last years sandals to allow for growing feet! There wasn't a lot of spare money.

Knitted pixie hat and matching gloves, probably would be highly valued now, but then every scrap of wool was used for something.


My aunty did knit one of these for me out of odd bits of wool.
Sitting in front of the coal fire in winter, toasting bread on the fire, listening to the radio, children's hour at 5 o'clock.
Playing Hide and Seek  in the dark, in the street, the lamp post was 'home.'
Paddling in the sea and getting my frock and knickers wet.. who cared?
Running down the hilly sandhills, screaming arms outstretched.
Days gone bye, but happy memories, and it never rained!
What was your childhood like?
Chrisxx



9 comments:

Mari said...

Such good memories!
I grew up on a farm, lots of land to explore, a creek to catch frogs. No tv till I was in 5th grade, but lots of trips to the library. Surprise days at the lake in the summer. Church and lots of church activities and always the knowledge that we were so loved!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that brought back some memories. I will add to those. Climbing auntie labels Apple tree, stumbling with my older brother,and fishing for nests in the bomb craters in the fields at the end of the road. I remember my childhood with a smile on my face. 5 of us brought up by mum. Dad beggared off with a younger model and left mum to bring us up. Never a penny to spare. But always fed and clothed and very happy. I wouldn't want to be a child today for all the tea in China . Life is too complicated now. It was so simple and caring in the 50s/60s. Happy days. Thankyou Chris for bringing back the memories.
Love Tisha.x

Anonymous said...

That should have said auntie Mabels Apple tree
Tisha x

sandy said...

My childhood sounds exactly the same as yours but, I had lots of aunts and uncles around to tell us off if they thought we were doing wrong, only in there eyes

Joy said...

Very similar. Happy and carefree, as I recall. I'm sure it had its darker moments, there always are, but generally - home made and happy! xzx

Anonymous said...

Much the same as yours except we lived by the woods not the sea xx

Gill said...

I had a lovely childhood even though I was an only. Lots of time spent with my lovely Granny, where I would slope off to the attic to sit on a discarded bed and read all the books that were stored up there. I read Gone With The Wind aged 11. Fishing for frog spawn with a net made with her old stocking tied on to a cane. Being put to bed with a nightlight flickering in the draughts. Playing Ludo and Snakes and Ladders with my Great Granny who lived with Gran. I could go on and on. Have a good day. Xx

Liz Hinds said...

Sounds very similar to mine. First dip in the sea as early as possible each year. This was before any of this Wild Swimming! Used to take your breath away.

Marie Smith said...

Good memories of simple things. So much better than on devices like the children today!