Sunday 14 April 2024

Insomia and a Saturday.

 This is pickled cucumber made by Dh, the one I made was eaten,; we really like it! The recipe is here....  https://alwayssmiling24.blogspot.com/2024/02/a-fancy.html

I had a funny old Saturday, started off tired as I was awake for 2 hours in the night. Some nights I sleep with the loo visits and some nights I wake for the loo and then can't get back to sleep. Friday night I tried hugging my pillow for an hour, with the mantra, 'I'm warm, I'm comfortable and I'm going to sleep,' with the picture in my mind of the sea gently lapping the shore. Then after an hour I get up, as that's what all the experts say.. I sometimes read my kindle, as its back lit so don't need a light, but at the moment I'm reading the book group book, 'A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding,' About a mother grieving for her daughter and Grandson, who were victims of the atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki in 1945. The font is faint and where its in italics, I need a bright light to see it.  An easy  read, but not a book I'd go to bed early to read! So I sat in the lounge with my spot light to read it. Climbed back into bed at 4 and was asleep in minutes. 

We usually visit the library on Saturdays, but no books to collect so we'll take ones we've read back on Wednesday, the book group afternoon.

Then gardening in the afternoon, Dh mowed the front grass, then he pruned a rose I'd missed, when I did the others a few weeks ago. It was a cutting that Dh took of a rose, that my daughter gave me several years ago and flourished in my Billericay garden. He took 4 cuttings and all 'took' We left one in the Suffolk garden and gave 2 away, so this is the last one. It's very precious, pink with a heavenly Turkish delight scent.. And while we were looking in that flower bed, I found a little penstemon, called Sour Grapes, I thought I'd lost. I took cuttings before we left Billericay and have had 1 or 2 in my garden where ever I've lived. This one I brought with me from Suffolk. Some of my plants have lived in several gardens!

(pic from a catalogue)

I can't kneel to garden any more so Dh did and cleared away the Forget me Nots and dandelions around it, to give it breathing room! Its still very tiny but I'll give it lots of  TLC to bring it on.

So our pickled cucumber went with our green salad and a very tasty steak and baked potato, for our evening meal. Another Saturday gone, with a drizzly end, I call it air rain, the sort that wets you!

How was your Saturday?

Chrisxx

11 comments:

Rosalea said...

'air rain'. That is a perfect description!

jabblog said...

Pretty garden plants - it's so nice to get out into the sunshine and hear the birds singing.

Mari said...

The pickled cucumbers look good!
Nice to see the flowers blooming. My DH worked outside on our flower beds too. It was a beautiful day!

Liz Hinds said...

Doesn't sound like the sort of book you'd want to read just before bed!

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Air rain has stayed away today but blustery wind is due again tomorrow. It is good to get outside when the weather permits and you have some beautiful plants. The penstemon you rediscovered is a very pretty colour.

Sooze said...

I do sympathise about the insomnia, it's horrible isn't it. Having said that, since we moved here in December I've slept so much better - it's rare now for me to have a bad night, and usually only when I've got something on my mind. Having suffered with insomnia since I was a child, I thought I'd never sleep well again! I'm clearly so much more settled now in our new place. I didn't know you could take cuttings of roses - thanks for that, I might have to try it!

Joy said...

It was a lovely day, thanks. I spent loads of time in the garden in the sunshine. xx

Marie Smith said...

I make a similar recipe which we quite like. It is a great way to use those cucumbers out of the garden.

doodles n daydreams said...

We had a grey Saturday, stayed home and did inside stuff :) not very exciting at all.

diane b said...

I have nights like that but I don't get up just day dream. Your garden sounds very pretty. I can't remember what I did on Saturday Hee hee!

Bless said...

Recently, I've been going to bed around 5:00 a.m. and sleeping till 9:00 a.m. or 10:00 a.m., depending on how long Dancer the cat will let me sleep before demanding breakfast!

It's been a rainy weekend, here!