Tuesday 16 April 2024

Grrrrrrr, some days I hate myself!

That  troublesome word has cropped up again ....weight.. mainly my being very over weight. How did I get here I ask myself?? The bulk of this extra weight arrived in lock down. Why?? We did things in the garden, to keep active, when we had planned not to when we moved to Suffolk, so we'd be free to take holidays any time of the year. But it didn't work out that way. Once the rules in the second lock down, was that we weren't to travel, our movements were restricted, we didn't drive to walk somewhere, but did walk around our road. and locally. I bought my 'wheels' to help me, so we did get out walking.  We didn't go shopping, but had everything delivered, so no tempting shelves of sweets and chocs to see.. sounds  feasible doesn't it? 

But....

We ordered the tempting things instead, crisps, chocs, cake, we even found Orange Flavoured cake mixture and different fruit bread mixes and we did what a lot of Britain did, we baked cakes and made bread! When it was the winter months, we did not walk as much and my weight piled on. I felt very anxious the whole time and hardly ever slept through the night,  so we had tea and toast most nights! Then I compounded the stress by saying I wanted to move back here to Wales in the middle of lock down!

We had buyers right away, but they were slow getting a mortgage and the sales dragged on for 4 months. Each time we saw a bungalow here, because our sale hadn't gone through, we lost what we wanted to buy. This bungalow was the only one left for us to buy. Too big really, although we've filled it with our own furniture even though we gave a lot away before we came here. The garden is a lot bigger than we wanted, fortunately we have a big power lawn mower so it makes short work of the grass. And we have settled in and do get out quite a bit. But exercise doesn't lose weight, eating less does! Hence Slimming World and I am losing weight, but so slowly and I'm very easily tempted, so this SW cake helps.. But Sunday I ate more than one piece and some ice cream and as we had beef for our Sunday dinner, we had home made Yorkshire puddings, so doubt I'll lose another 2 lbs this week! Grrrrrrr

Here is the SW Weetabix cake,  it does hit the spot.

SW Weetabix cake

2 weetabix crumbled

200ml skimmed milk

100g sultanas

100g Self-Raising flour 

1 Tsp Mixed spice

2 Tbl Sweetner

2 large eggs

Method.

Preheat oven 180C fan/160C/Gas 4

Line a pound tin

Pour milk over Weetabix and mash, leave for a few minutes till thoroughly soaked.

Beat in all remaining ingredients

Spoon into tin and cook for 1 hour.

Turn out and leave to cool.

Slice into 12 pieces (3 1/2 syns per slice)

Chrisxx

9 comments:

Joy said...

Thank you. I do love the weetabix cake. xx

Meanqueen said...

Don't hate yourself. Accept yourself as who you are. Accept you have flaws, accept that you have limits. Nobody is perfect. Your recollections of lockdown describes exactly what happened to a lot of people. Put all that behind you. Today is a brand new start.

Mari said...

I hear you! It's a never ending problem. In heaven I get a new body! :)

Lynn and Precious said...

It is maddening to have weight gain and then nothing wants to budge off when you are careful. Just try to set a good menu for meals and do not chide yourself for a slip now and then. Those lock downs still continue to keep me from doing and going as often as I did before. I have not had covid and I hope to keep avoiding it.

Marie Smith said...

My husband always makes Yorkies for family dinners. Our grandkids love them. Me, not so much.

Buttercup said...

I did okay for the first years of the Pandemic, but this last year has been a trial for weight. I'm going to Weight Watchers, which I think is like Slimming World, but not sticking with it very well. :( We'll both keep on keeping on and look to better results in the months ahead. It is so slow when one is older.

Jules said...

Weetabix loaf is one of my favourites. Xx

Bless said...

It's easier to gain weight than to lose it, isn't it? I don't think we have Weetabix, here! I guess they are a bit like shredded wheat?

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

That is such a great recipe . Thank you for sharing. I know someone sitting close by right now who will love it.