Wednesday 17 April 2024

I didn't want to like this book but.....

                                                          


This was our book group read
 for April. When I read the blurb that it was about the aftermath of the 'A' bomb on Nagasaki I did not want to read it.. I was convinced I wouldn't like it. How wrong I was, I loved it!
Each chapter is introduced with an explanation of a Japanese culture and history and is worth reading to get the 'flavour' of the story.

The story revolves around the life of Amaterasu, a mother and grandmother affected by the dreadful atom bombing of Nagasaki. She spends her life grieving the death of her daughter Yuko and grandson Hideo. 
One of the best books I've read. An engaging story,  exquisite writing, and characters whose emotions you could actually feel. The author has a poetic quality of writing and really makes you feel about the choices of love and trust.
Years after the bomb Amaterasu, now a widow and living in America, opens her door one day to see a disfigured man there, claiming to be her lost grandson, Hideo.
He has with him a parcel of letters from Sato, a Dr who had loved her daughter. Sato had never sent them, but declares his love for Yoko in the letters and with Yoko's diary, Amaterasu relives her own past. 
The story  tells of her own love, and her daughter's love. It weaves back and forth across generations and changing cultural attitudes. It is a challenging read in some instances but ultimately rewarding and I found it difficult to put down, wanting to know what happens next.
It is a very emotional book with a deep romantic story at its core. The author actually lived and worked in Nagasaki and Sapporo for three years and researched the cultural references, so the explanations and terms of Japanese history at the beginning of each chapter are correct They were an education to me who knew little or nothing about Japanese culture and history, and as an introduction to each chapter, they were a nice touch too. 
This is  a thought provoking, beautifully written book that I highly recommend. 

Chrisxx

8 comments:

Sooze said...

Sounds a really good read, I'll have to look out for it, thanks.

Mari said...

It sounds very interesting. I'll have to add it to my book list!

Marie Smith said...

It sounds good. I love when a book captures my attention so well. It makes time fly!

Cherie said...

I'm going to the library tomorrow. I'll see if they have a copy.

Billie Jo said...

Thank you for sharing this book. I recently received a book in a club I subscribe to, and honestly, I almost didn't start it. It looked nothing like what I usually read. I did, though, and I am so glad! It was an excellent book.

Polly said...

Brilliant synopsis Chris. I agree about not wanting to read about the aftermath of the 'A' bomb, but I think I will put it on my list.

50 and counting said...

Growing up in the late 60s, our next door neighbour told me all about the bomb. My birthday falls between them. She was there when it went off and died many years later of pancreatic cancer.

Her story would be a novel in itself. Sent to Japan with her Mum to find a husband. War declared and stranded there for the duration. Worked as a translator for the US Army during the Occupation. Returned home and nobody wanted to marry her because of her exposure to the bomb. Eventually married a lovely man and had children.

We just never know how our lives are going pan out.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

It sounds like a really good book and one I shall add to my list. Thank you x