Sunday 28 April 2024

Never again!

Dh asked could we pop to Tesco yesterday afternoon, a Saturday? It might be busy he said, but then it might not! Why did he want to go? The steak he had ordered wasn't available, so we didn't get it when we had the delivery on Thursday, and he really fancied it for our evening meal.

We went and yes it was busy,  but not too bad, so he kept saying?  As we only had a few other bits with the steak, we decided to use one of the self service tills. Right away it was a bad idea; we needed a shop assistant, it didn't like our own bags!  We waited and waited while she ok-ed some ones alcohol. Why did we think we could sail through the self check out? Then, because we had some paracetamol we needed her again! We always said we'd never use a self check out on principle, and because they always seem to go wrong as soon as they see us! So annoying and to my way of thinking, it doesn't save time.

Then in the very large entrance there were about 7 young lads bouncing around as though on a rubber bouncy castle. Shaking their collection buckets and making racket, exciting squeals and shouting. I was afraid one would bounce into me, it doesn't take much to over balance me.  The adults with them seemed unaware of their noise. I expect it was just me, old and out of the stream of the joys of youngsters enthusiasm, that found them out of order. So annoying I thought, what were they collecting for? It wasn't clear, but it was a boys football club.

Saturday shopping?? Never again! But the steak was very tasty and we had English strawberries from Kent, delicious!

Chrisxx

8 comments:

Sue in Suffolk said...

I use the Self service in Asda as there are only one or two staffed checkouts open so not much option. It's just a case of getting used to them.
What were the boys collecting for?

doodles n daydreams said...

I do use the self service if by myself but for some reason we have a problem if both of us are there - don't ask me why, 😂.

Tracy said...

My husband loves self-service tills, but I much prefer to use a regular check-out. Repeatedly waiting for an assistant to come and help when things go wrong is a real pain.

Marie Smith said...

When we rarely venture to the stores on weekend, the crowds confound me. I never use the self check-outs but my husband does when he is on his own. Weekday mornings is so much more pleasant in the stores.

Maggie said...

I hate self serve checkouts and won't use then unless I really really have to, they are no faster than being served by a real person.

Granny Marigold said...

We try to avoid shopping on the weekends because of the crowds. We almost always need help when we use the self check-outs but I must say, there's usually 2 people wandering around helping when there's a problem.
Good to hear that you're happy with the decorator's job. And that Tiffin? YUM💗

Meanqueen said...

I will not use the self service tills at all. Thank goodness my Aldi store does not have them.

Live and Learn said...

Every time we go to a store on the weekend, we say we need to plan better and go during the week. I like self-checkouts. They usually go faster, but you have to learn the quirks of each one, or they can be frustrating.