Saturday 14 September 2024

This could be me!

I Worried 

I worry a lot, will the garden grow, will the rivers flow in the right direction, will the earth turn as it was taught, if not how shall I correct it?

Was I right, was I wrong, will I be forgiven, can I do better?

Will I ever be able to sing, even the sparrows can do it and I am, well, hopeless.

Is my eye sight fading or am I imagining it, am I going to get rheumatism, lockjaw, dementia?

Finally I saw that worrying had come to nothing.

And gave it up.

And took my old body out into the morning and sang.

'I Worried.' by Mary Oliver.

Chrisxx

13 comments:

diane b said...

GHood advice. I love to walk when worried.

jabblog said...

This chimes with so many of us. My impression is that women worry much more than men, or perhaps we worry more openly.

Poppy and Me said...

I overthink things and try to work out what I would do if anything happens to me.At the moment I am worrying if I have enough money to cover bills that are all coming. and I don't want to get into debt.Haven't ever been in debt. savings deminishing so I might as well use them as at my age 81 I might not be here before I runout. Today is sunny and bright cat Poppy is sitting on windowsill and I am going to go for a walk and enjoy the village I live in. sorry for long comment I did enjoy the poem and have got eveything off my chest!!! Valx

KirstenM said...

I enjoy dipping and out of Mary Oliver's poetry.

Live and Learn said...

Yep. She's right.

Liz Hinds said...

I'm a worrier. It would be good to cast it off quite that easily.

Marie Smith said...

Worry is such a waste of time and energy. I love how the poem ends outdoors!

Mari said...

Good words and poem. I have to think about how many things I've worried about that have never happened!

Lynn and Precious said...

Worry is such a part of life, but it does not really get us anywhere.

Joy said...

I really like that, thank you. xx

Granny Marigold said...

I like Mary Oliver's poetryđź’—

Bless said...

Great poem!

Granny Sue said...

I like this poem. Do my best not to worry over things I can't change.