Tuesday 10 September 2024

The Elephant in the room!

 The elephant in the room... the Winter Fuel allowance!

I watched a TV programme yesterday about this and I suppose I'm one of the pensioners considered too well off for it, because I own my own home! Well I do....... but I worked very hard to pay that mortgage  and when I decided I couldn't work where I was, because the Head Teacher was hardly in school and then blamed the staff for a poor Ofsted report, I left. It meant giving up the house I had bought for myself and children after my divorce and downsizing. 

It was struggle because, I had given up a very good salary and bought what my friends thought was an awful house.. but I got another part time teaching job and as I earned the money, I got that house totally renovated to a high  standard.. bit by bit as I earned the money. 

I had the windows done just at the front of the house first, the walls re plastered and slowly it became a lovely house.. new bathroom, kitchen and fitted wardrobes and a magnificent Raspberry pink carpet throughout the downstairs, hall stairs and landing! I loved  it and of course the bare garden was redesigned and planted up with small trees and flowers. I lived there just over 13 years and the selling price was 3 times what I paid for it.  I worked till I was 64 so no easy money came my way!

So I might own my own home, but I worked jolly hard for it.. sometimes in some rough areas of Essex with some pretty awful children. And in the early years of paying that mortgage, I went without  a whole load of things to make sure I paid it and the bills. I'm not desperate for that Fuel Allowance, but I get annoyed when people say I'm well off! 

Chrisxx

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me too! The government considers me wealthy! I have had to work hard and save hard all my life and now retired with no husband no children I have to fend for myself. I’m turning 70 next month and wonder if I will manage on my pension and savings. Today I’ve had a fit of the ‘dismals’ but a good nights sleep and I hope I feel better in the morning. Margaret from New Zealand

jabblog said...

It's disgraceful that those who want to claim the fuel allowance will have to fill in a very long questionnaire in order to be assessed. It will be too much for many people. I'm disappointed in the new government. I thought they would be fairer, more honest.

Live and Learn said...

We don't have a fuel allowance here in the US, but there have been other programs that we didn't qualify because we were careful with our money and didn't overextend. It's all very frustrating.

Marie Smith said...

Fuel allowance is the least of what you’ve earned, Chris! You accomplished so much and worked so hard.

Yay for the princess!

Lynn and Precious said...

Like you I worked 35 years to be free of debt and own our home and be able to buy groceries and of course pay taxes! I know too many who live on handouts instead of work though.

Granny Sue said...

Same here. We still work, actually, having our booths in antiques malls, which puts us over the limit for any kind of assistance. Very frustrating. We could quit but we enjoy the work, and if we can still do it, why sit on our hands?

Mari said...

Yes, it's frustrating when you work hard to pay your bills and then others get handouts.

Traveller said...

I think it was the right move. I disagree with people getting a benefit solely based on age and not means. I also disagree with free bus passes and free TV license for all.

Tracy said...

The party currently in power spent years painting a picture of the previous ruling party as uncaring, then immediately showed themselves to be cut from exactly the same cloth. Perhaps they should consider the demographics of the people who actually bother to vote in this country.

Chris said...

There are no free tv license and haven't been for over 6 years! Cancel bus passes and the bus companies will go bancrupt.. its mainly old people who use buses.

Traveller said...

Thank you Chris. I did not realise free licence was only for those in receipt of pension credit. A step in the right direction.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I'm not quite at pension age and we will be able to manage ok when my hubby retires next year but I feel for all those who will be struggling with paying for fuel this Winter because of this policy. Very disappointing move from our new government. Nuff said.