Thursday 16 November 2023

An Evil man but a delish mince pie.

 This was our Library book group choice for November. 

    I read it and it was readable, but in my opinion 100 pages too long! I wouldn't recommend it as a good read, in fact one member of the group gave up on it, as she found the main character, a man got into her head, as he was so unpleasant; a sociopath, I knew what she meant. Of the seven of us in the group only myself, my husband and one other member read it. It wasn't liked by any of the others and so they didn't read it. I was disappointed as when we were first given it,  I recognized the author as John Fowles, who wrote 'The French Lieutenant's Woman.' But this was a book of an evil man, a disturbed obsessive who stalks and ultimately captures the object of his desires, a young woman, it was creepy and horrifying.

But when we left the library, the sun was shining so we decided to walk into the town for a coffee. (De-caff in the afternoon or I'd never be able to get to sleep) and with it we indulged in a warmed mince pie with squirty cream and it was delicious! Such a very pleasant change in the weather. We strolled to the fruit shop, bought some russet apples, Dh's favourite and some pears for me. 
We drove home along the sea front; the sea had just some gentle ripples as it came up over the rocks and with the setting sun quite lovely.

It's such s lovely place to live.

Chrisxx




2 comments:

Chris said...

Such a lovely photo! I live a thousand miles from the ocean and really miss it. In our book club each of us recommends a book and then we vote on our choices. My choice is coming up in December and I am hoping for a good discussion.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I live on the beach and the ocean always brings me joy and makes me feel wonderful. Sounds like you had a good ending with your coffee and mince pie and drive home along the sea.