Saturday 28 October 2023

Two books that made me think very differently!

Summer people are what the residents of Unity Island off the Maine coast, call the many summer visitors, who come to holiday there during the summer months. The inhabitants are a very tight knit community, who have lived there for generations and who pass their properties down through the generations, as most are too expensive to buy.
The story is set around four people, who all go on their own emotional journeys, discovering things about themselves and others. I cared for and liked all the characters, and it was hard see them to go through the confusion and pain, but it was addictive and I was immersed in their world.
 Vee, who left the island without an explanation, when she was a teenager leaving her best friend Stirling, returns for the summer with her rich husband Mike. They meet up with Stirling and his wife Rachel, and the two women are drawn to each other. The plot follows the developing sexuality of Vee and Rachel with a great deal of sympathy.  
It is written with great sensitivity about the women and while usually this sort of storying doesn't appeal to me, the author gets so deeply into the psyche of the characters, she evoked my sympathy for them. I was totally immersed in the story; I was there on Unity Island and loved it.  
There is the hint of a secret as to why Vee and her mother left the island secretly at night years earlier, which is revealed at the end. 'Summer People' will appeal to readers who enjoy romantic novels, especially ones that focus on gay relationships. It is a book brimming with love, hope and loss and I loved spending time in this world. I highly recommend this book, that will remain with you long after the final page.

*******************************************************

This story is told by two voices, Olivia Acfee a single mother, survivor of domestics abuse,  raising her son Asher, while running a bee keeping business, that she has inherited and Lily Campamello. Lily is 18 years old, who has left her old life behind and moved to New Hampshire for a new start, with her mother Ava.


The story goes back and fro between these two points of views and back in time to tell the gripping story. The characters are highly believable and the subject matter is disturbing and controversial, including abuse, suicide, abortion, gender equality and interracial couples. This book opened my eyes and heart to issues that I'd never understood before.
We are left on the edge of our seats many times and there are the usual twists and jaw dropping moments thrown in. I never would have thought I'd enjoy a book so much that was about transgender, but I did.
And we learn about bees, there were long depictions and elaborate descriptions about bee keeping and the nature of bees and the magical healing power of honey. I loved the way Jodi Picoult weaves this into the story seemingly effortlessly.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, it is well written by the two authors and I'd recommend it as a great read.

****************************************************

Chrisxx

1 comment:

Poppypatchwork said...

I've not read that Jodi Picoult, I do love her books, very thought provoking.