Saturday 27 July 2024

We went to the Olympics!

Will you be watching the Olympics or perhaps you've planned to go to Paris? We were very fortunate to go to the 2012 Olympics. Where we  lived in Essex, was the rail line that went to Stratford, the Olympic park. So getting to the games was just a 25 min train ride for us and when you booked your tickets through the Olympic web site, it was very reasonable.

When the date was given to apply for tickets I did. I applied for 30, but how we were going to pay for them all I hadn't thought about.

Anyway we got 15 tickets for different Para-Olympic events and the closing ceremony. So we went every day for a whole week!

It was amazing and wonderful, on two days we attended 3 different events. We sat in the wild garden area each day and ate our packed lunches with fresh bought coffee and cakes. We walked miles, it was a very big site and beautifully laid out.

I really value that we went, it was a once in a life time experience and I'll always remember it.

I wrote about it  here

So this year in Paris, Go GB Go!

Chrisxx


11 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

I won a pair of tickets to watch the badminton and cash to pay travel costs. A memorable day.

doodles n daydreams said...

How lucky you were living so close by. I'm afraid I'll only be watching it on TV. And I'm barracking for the Kiwis :)

Joy said...

I didn't watch 2012 'live', just on the telly, but it was good and the opening ceremony was fantastic. xx

Maggie said...

What a sheltered life I live, I didn't even realise it was an Olympic year 🤣
I don't watch TV so that's my excuse in not knowing. I used to like to watch the gymnastics years ago but have very little interest in watching sport of any kind nowadays. Must have been a great experience to actually see a live event though, I think I might have enjoyed that

Will said...

I was working in the NHS at the time of the 2012 London games, and one of my co-workers was part of the NHS contingent for the opening ceremony. As he said at the time, it really was a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Sarah said...

Oh wow, how cool to have gone to the Olympics! I think we will watch some of the sports this year, I really enjoy women's gymnastics and some of the athletics events.

Marie Smith said...

You’re right! Such a great memory!

Live and Learn said...

I have never been to the Olympics and probably never will. What an experience you had in 2012!

Kathy G said...

How awesome! The closest I've come is visiting some of the Olympics areas in Vancouver and Salt Lake City years after the events took place.

Granny Sue said...

What a wonderful experience! I have never been, but one of my sons drove buses at the Atlanta Olympics. He said the athletes were mostly pretty snobby but the paraolympics ones were fantastic. He really enjoyed talking with them. Said they were incredibly inspiring.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

A once in a lifetime event that you enjoyed back then.I hope these Olympic Games bring back some good memories. Good luck to all the athletes taking part in Paris.