Sunday 30 June 2024

My Left Little Toe is ok

 When Dh asked how I was feeling Thursday morning, I gave him the the reply, ' My left little toe is ok!

In fact I'd had a horrible urinary infection, where did it come from? I take the supplements suggested to take for recurrent infection, plus Vit C which is supposed to be good for good bladder health, I drink extra water and wear loose underwear, I avoid strong coffee and make sure I drink water before my one coffee of my mornings and all tea is de-caff. I don't use soap or scented shower jells.

I've had all the usual tests, the awful full bladder scans several times. The one I had, travelling to the hospital over bumpy roads with a full bladder was awful. Usually I walk upright striding ahead, with my stick or my wheels, not to look old!(vanity?) But on this occasion I shuffled into the hospital scanning dept. bent over my wheels, mumbling 'Oh dear, oh dear!' It's sometimes ok to play the little old woman card!! 

She was very nice and said to go to use the loo and come back, as it was my kidneys they wanted to scan.

So anyone who thinks a urinary infection, UTI, is just going to the loo a lot with some discomfort, you've never had a full blown infection. The pain is excruciating and you pee a lot because it relieves some of it, but only if you drink at least 2 litres of water and keep drinking water while you have the 'flare up.'

This time I had anti-biotics, because I had some from a private Dr. My own surgery would have had me wait to have my sample tested, may be a full day. So I was able to take them as soon as my symptoms started, but even then, I still had a couple of hours of very unpleasant acute pain and the not being able to pass urine is excruciating. 

Anyway, its all under control and although I got up several times that night, I had a sleep on the bed Friday afternoon.

So hence the reply, my left little toe is ok. The rest of me is shattered and I'm very wary of doing anything to aggravate it again, so lots of water and lots of loo visits. But its ok because my left  little toe is ok!!

Hope none of you ever have this, believe you me until you've experienced the pain, you wouldn't believe there was such pain.

Chrisxx

9 comments:

Live and Learn said...

I have had many UTIs and know the pain you are talking about. It's bad. Luckily, my doctor will start the antibiotic while we wait for the results. I hope you continue to improve.

Anonymous said...

Hi,, long time reader here,although I rarely comment. When I had recurrent UTIs and nothing seemed to help I had to have a blood test for vitamin D - which helps to fight infections. My levels were very low, I had to have a mega dose daily for a month then another blood test - had the levels still been low further investigation would have been required. My levels were back to normal. I have to take Vit D daily all year. No more dreadful infections. Doctors say everyone in the UK should take Vit D at least October to April, if not all year. Hope this helps - another avenue to investigate at least.
Best wishes VeeKnits

Marie Smith said...

Glad you are feeling better and hope it remains that way!

Mari said...

I've been lucky to only have one UTI ever. But so many of our patients have them. It's a miserable thing. I hope you are soon feeling better!

Gill said...

I suffered terribly with UTI's in my teenage years with the hospital at first diagnosing my pain as a 'grumbling appendix'! 4 years later when I literally couldn't pee they did operate, so my right kidney is not kidney shaped now. I also can't use scented soap or shower gels, have to be careful which washing powder I use. I drink masses of water and also lemon barley water as I find that helps. Take care. Xx

Liz Hinds said...

UTIs are horrible! Haven't had them for a while but used to get them regularly so know your pain. Hope it settles now and doesn't come back.

Kathy G said...

It's been several years since my last UTI, but I know how miserable they can be.

Lynn and Precious said...

I am thankful that it has been a few years since my last attack of UTI. Only antibiotics cured it and in the days before the meds worked, yes, the pain is pretty much unbearable. I do hope you are completely over this and just finishing up the course of meds.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the urinary infection that has been causing so much pain again for you, Chris. Glad it seems to be under control now and the silver lining - your little toe is just fine. Take care dear friend x