Saturday 10 June 2023

A Boat, Corn beef sandwich and a paper bag!

 Trips on the Waverly paddle streamer have started up again. They go to Ilfracombe across the Bristol channel and west to Swansea and Lundy Island.

I went on one with my Aunty when I was 12 years old. I can remember being excited and scared! It had been decided we'd have breakfast on board and we did, big thick doorstop Corn beef sandwiches. 

Omgosh was I ill, and spent a long time with my head in a paper bag heaving! It was the first time I discovered that the sea was ok to swim in, but not to ride on! 

Ilfracombe was ??  Can't remember that at all, altho I've seen photos of us walking along eating an ice creams. I don't know how I was on the back but I guess I was alright, as there were no family stories about me!

Since then I have been on other sea journeys, but with very strong sea sickness pills! 

We are going to watch the next arrival just to see it docking along side the pier,  but I don't want to go on it and it took me years as an adult to have a corn beef sandwich!


How are you on sea journeys?

Chrisxx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sailed to Lundy from Weston-super-Mare back in late 70's on her. It rained all day, we spent our time on the upland in the hotel bar. Marlene, Poppypatchwork

Latane Barton said...

I suffer from seasickness, too. Once took a ship from Hawaii back to Calif. and I got sick before we even got out of the harbor! It's no fun, that's for sure.

Ana Dunk said...

Upon boarding my very first cruise ship for a ten-day cruise, I tucked the anti-seasickness patch behind my ear and looked forward to the life on board. At dinner about 5 hours later I excused myself and spent the next 12 hours on my bunk, and in the "head" being violently ill, my only food being saltine crackers, raw apple slices, and ginger ale, compliments of our room steward who had been alerted by my travel companions. Later I learned the patches need to be attached at least 24 hours in advance. SOMEONE could have told me that!

Margaret said...

Like you I get really seasick - even on the 10 minute ferry ride across Auckland Harbour. Nowadays I fly or go in my own car so no need of paper bags!

Joy said...

I don't know (yet) but I guess I will find out.
I remember Ilfracombe - my ex's parents lived there so we had ready made holidays. It's a very pleasant part of the country, I think, round there. xx