Thursday 25 May 2023

Hedge gone./new Fence!

 When we moved into our bungalow, which will be two years on the 6th June, I said right away I didn't like the very high hedge, which went all round three sides of the property. Everyone I knew said, it would cost too much to have it removed and it was nicely green! Environmentalists said it would be alive with insects and birds and what a shame to remove it. But they didn't have the headache of getting it cut, nor the cost. The cost has risen over the two years and is now close on £1500 each year! But guess what.... it had no birds in it and apart from the odd spider or ant not a lot of anything else.. And as it was my hedge I have had it taken out and a fence in its place. 



We still have the Copper Beach hedge down one side and the half size one that edges the front garden. And now this wonderful fence! We plan to grow some small garden trees and at the top perhaps a Bramley and a Victoria plum. As well as roses and shrubs, I'm delighted and love it. We have gained extra ground,  where the hedge had grown out as well as up. I have plans and can't wait to go out and buy new plants. I already have bought three roses, 'Sweet Syrie,' 'Chanfos Beauty' which I saw on the Chelsey Flower show TV last evening, its so exciting.. Watch this space!

Chrisxx




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hedges are hard work, we had one along one side of our last property, it had not been looked after and was very wide. Your fence looks very neat, have fun choosing plants. Marlene, Poppypatchwork

Margaret said...

I think the new fence is far better. Well done and happy gardening.

Sal said...

It’s always good to have new garden plans! I’m sure that you’ll work wonders with your new fence and grow some lovely things against it! Hedges are hard work indeed; we had a massive one at our previous house and although it was lovely for all the nesting birds, it did take time to maintain it. 😁

Jo said...

I think I'd have done the same, hedges are such hard work to keep looking good. Glad you're happy with your decision.