Monday 29 April 2019

Yarn snobbery

'Has anyone else experienced yarn snobbery? I'm talking about those people who will only use fiber from baby yaks born by the light of the first full moon after the autumn equinox, washed with the tears of a thousand virgins and spun by unicorns versus those of us who use acrylic?' I laughed out loud when I read this on a FB knitting site, so funny....but.....

…..This was the most expensive item I've ever knitted. It took 3 hanks at £15.50 each and I have never used it! I might next winter, it is lovely and soft and very warm
I feel ashamed that I  haven't ever use it, but I loved knitting it and would knit the same in an acrylic yarn.
Do you have anything you've made but not used for what ever reason?
XX

6 comments:

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

Not yet but I bought a hank of hand dyed wool to knit socks but I love the colours so much I haven't wished to knit the wool.

My Creative Life said...

Ha ha, the 'too precious' yarn made me smile. I suppose a jumper or two many years ago I've not worn as often as I could have. The 2 baskets I crocheted recently haven't been used much either. Have fun with your makes Cx

Julie said...

DH bought me a skein of sock wool made using a blend of Yak wool. It's on the needles at the moment and knitting up lovely. At £14 it was not too bad for a pair of socks.

Joanne Noragon said...

That answer is easy for me: no. When I needed a sweater, I knit one. Mittens, ditto. Socks, I can't knit fast enough for everyone who wears them.

Winifred said...

That's so funny. I do like to knit lace shawls but I don't spend huge amounts on them. I do wear them a lot as you say wool is so soft & warm.

I found I am getting some holes in them as they are all wool & yet we've never had moths before. Maybe it's time to look for a fibre mix of wool & acrylic.

Cherie said...

I spent ages knitting a beautiful shawl with expensive yarn. I put it away in the cupboard and later discovered holes... blimmin moths... I needle felted over the top of the holes and made a feature of them