Monday 3 April 2023

Vitamins or big girl pants??

 


I hope this is true because I don't seem to be able to 'pull myself together.' I've lost my 'zip' and don't really want to do anything. I can spend hours staring into space and then realise I've lost an hour.
I got hooked on the TV programme 'Race Across the World,' And watched it for hours! Why?  I never used to watch TV or at least hardly at all. But these days I switch on when I get up! I am at a loss; is it an age thing, have I reached the age when slowing down is 'stop?'
I used to be able to get out of bed and shower right away, then I started to shower after that first cup of tea, then I progressed to after breakfast during lockdown. As my friend said, 'no point rushing, nothing to rush for.' 
These last few weeks I've showered after all that and after I've looked at my emails and our morning cup of coffee, the only caffeine drink I have. There was a time, if I had a spare 10 minutes I would start something, but lately I've thought with only 10 minutes, its not worth starting anything now.
It took me ages on Saturday to sow some tomato and flower seeds, then clearing up afterwards I felt like chucking the spare pots and seeds left over, because it seemed too big a job to do. I didn't because Dh helped. 
I eat a healthy well balanced diet, and believe that taking added vitamins produces expensive 'pee', so that's not for me. But perhaps I do need that mixture that used to be advertised to 'fortify the over forties?' Or is it just  a kick up the backside I need? I know I'm getting on, and not twenty something anymore, but I would like to be a bit more active. I try to walk on each day, if its fine; rain does not agree with my arthritis and so I avoid getting wet.
Any advise is welcome, but climbing mountains is not something I can do. What do you do to get that 'zip' back?
Chrisxx



5 comments:

JayCee said...

I felt like that for ages until a routine blood test diagnosed an underactive thyroid. Now, with medication, I feel almost normal!

Latane Barton said...

Chris, oh how I relate. It's so easy to let life take hold and keep you down and the Covid thing just turned all our worlds upside down. I think Covid changed all our lives and it's time to take them back.

I struggle with some depression (not bad but enough to be on pills) and that has made a world of difference. I almost never watch the news (it's too depressing). I intend for my last years to be filled with joy and I fight hard to make that happen. I read uplifting and informative books on staying positive. I love to share quotes that are life lessons with others that I collect.

I know the sand in my hourglass of life is running faster so I prioritized what was important enough to use what energy I have on those things. I gave up a lot of things I used to do. That's okay. Things aren't important. Being content with your life is. Embrace the slowing down, take time every day to just be you, enjoy quiet time, meditate if you like (I don't every day but I do some days)

We are such blessed people to have reached the age we are. (and sugar, I bet I got you beat by age a whole bunch). Count your blessings. So, if you don't shower til bedtime... who cares. Some days I never change out of my pjs all day long. Once I even crawled back in bed just like I was. hehe Some days I get all dressed up to just piddle around the house. Do what you want to do.

If you wish to, my email address is latane8@gmail.com if you need to 'talk'. I'd be happy to.

Latane Barton said...

You inspired me to write my post today. There are a lot of us who struggle with slowing down. If you ever need to 'talk' my email is latane8@gmail.com. I have big ears. hehe

Joy said...

My 'zip' comes and goes really. I'm far less zippy than I was in the mornings and appreciate that I can be but I totally agree with you regarding expensive pee.

I just try to eat as well as I can, avoid junk food like crisps and chocolate, exercise regularly and accept that there are certain things it just isn't sensible to try to do now I've hit 70. Could you join some sort of exercise class or does that not appeal?
xx

Anonymous said...

You might ask your doctor if some vitamin B12 would be ok for you to take.
I worked in healthcare all my life.
The doctors swore by it.