Monday 14 November 2022

Why do they do this??

 

This Pudding, she is in her second year of training to be a Guide dog for the sight impaired. it's the second dog I've sponsored. The Association were appealing for new sponsors in our high street a couple of months ago, we stopped to speak to them. I mentioned I was already sponsoring a dog and she was my second, so she asked would I take part in their lottery, but I do that as well and buy their raffle tickets 3 times a year; She still asked could I not sponsor another dog! I said no, as I think I give them a fair amount already.

My other regular monthly charity is the Macular Society and I take part in their lottery as well as a monthly contribution. And a surprise was I've won £5 twice in the last few months. They often send me 'bumff' which includes a request for more money. I phoned and asked them to stop sending me letters as I thought it was a waste of money.

Each Christmas I chose a couple of charities and give them money, this includes, Beds for the Homeless and Smile for children born in 3rd World Countries born with a hair lip.

And this time of year, I get requests for money from different charities. So, when you give to one, they must pass your name around and hence the letters. 

And also, this is the time of year when Pudsey the bear pops up with various very well-off celebrities on TV, smiling very nicely asking for people with a good deal less money to ...give, give, give.

It makes me feel like cancelling my regular giving, because it seems to me, I am like many being targeted as a soft touch.

How do you feel about all these adverts on TV from wealthy celebrities all asking for us to give money to their charities? 

Chrisxx


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My problem with charity fundraising , well 2 things - the amount of money that must be spent on admin and advertising and the pu shines of some of the workers who sell on behalf of the charities. Very off putting.

Sue in Suffolk said...

When my late Father in Law was starting to get muddled he was signed up by dozens of charities, all done by phone calls - he ended up giving away 100s of pounds. My Brother-in law had to hide his Dads debit card.
The charities must have been passing on his name for them to have been able to do that.
Not nice.

meandmysmallcorner said...


Hello Chris. I think that everyone should make their own choice about who and what causes they support. I'm afraid I am most likely to go put the kettle on when one of those adverts come on the TV.

Joan (Devon) said...

I support two charities and have become disenchanted with them both and am in two minds to stop supporting them. One of them never asks for less than £25 in any appeal and the other gives you a choice of supporting different conditions, but will use your donation for any condition it sees as more in need. My husband supports two other charities, both for animals and one is always asking for money, but the other is happy with the amount my husband sends every month.

Joanne Noragon said...

For me, it builds up in annoyance, until one year I say enough and quit all. Come the next year I begin with a little here, a little there, until one year I say enough and quit all. For a year.

Poppy and Me said...

Hello Chris, I only support local charities as I don't approve of all the admin that goes into tv advertising, What a waste sending everyone begging letters etc. Val

Maggie said...

Oh I hate it when they stop you and when you say no you feel so guilty! I think you give enough already and it was rather cheeky to ask you for more. My mum used to get loads of mail asking for donations, she also gave to lots of charities but I think once you are on their mailing list its hard to get taken off, in the end we used to have to throw away the letters before mum could see them otherwise she would have given to all of them.

Rosie said...

We usually get mail at this time of year from charities asking for money and some include various gifts. Last week we received five cards painted by people with their feet - lovely cards but it makes you feel guilty if you don't send money back. I like to make my own choices where to give money and at a time I want to. The TV adverts are usually the time to go and make a cup of tea, but surely the money they cost could be used more wisely:)

Jules said...

I usually just donate to local charities, as and when I choose to. I don't sign up for direct debits for the reasons you have mentioned. Xx

Will said...

I don't really have a problem with charities touting for my money, I can always say no. What I do have a major issue with is the number of so-called charities that seem to get the bulk of their funding direct from the government. When I pay taxes I do not expect to be keeping some very well paid charity bosses in their luxury lifestyles. Incidentally, I used to live next door to one of the foot soldiers for a Christian charity, and he certainly was not highly paid.

Moira said...

I only give to small local charities or the Salvation Army, I am not supporting someone’s luxury lifestyle.