Saturday 12 November 2022

What do you love best??

 I can't say it enough...' I love books!' And am delighted to see that Jane Harper's book, 'The Dry' which was made into a film, is now available on some 'streaming' services. The opening passage of this book was so vividly written I read it through my fingers covering my eyes! The book shop in Southwold featured it and had the floor covered with sandy bits and dried grass, which the manager said was difficult to keep fresh, so it was swept up each night and re-done each morning. Wow, it was a good book! I hope the film does it justice.

It amazes me how authors think up their stories. A real favourite of mine is Charity Norman, who writes a totally different story each time and none have ever failed to take me away into a different world. When I finished reading her last one. 'Remember Me,' I was bereft and was lost as to what I would read next, what story would give me that excitement when I was on my way to bed; my best reading time and place.

Next month I have a significant birthday, a really big, big number and what have I asked for?? A book by Chris Hammer, his latest.

I've been to quite a few authors talks and some draft writing by hand, some have a story board, and some don't know the ending before they start!! 
Patrick Gale, said he didn't even write the story in chronological order, but wrote chapters as the story came to him.
This was an excellent story..
 I always say of presents, I've probably got it and if I haven't, I didn't want it!! But I'd never say no to a book!

Are you passionate about books?

Chrisxx

4 comments:

Margaret said...

I love reading too and hope you get lots of lovely books for your Big Birthday.

Joy said...

Thanks, Chris. I like book recommendations and might treat myself to one for Christmas reading. xx

Libby said...

Yes, I too love books. As a child I would be very upset if I didn't receive a book as a Christmas present. I now buy myself a book I have been wanting every Christmas as a treat. My favourite place to read is in bed and always have something on the go. You have reminded me that I must read more Charity Norman novels. I did read "See You in September" earlier in the year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Fat Dormouse said...


Patrick Gale is one of my favourite authors.