Wednesday 30 March 2022

Opening up this blog!

I'm opening up this blog again as my other blog has lost its connection with other blogs.  It's annoying and frustrating but I just can't find out why its happened.. 
This was the last post in my other blog. 
After two very busy days in the garden, see here..

So from now on I'm using this blog, please follow this one.
.........................................................................................................................................
I have been enjoying the programme 'The Simpler Life,' on channel 4.
24 people leave the life of the 21st Century to live a simple life like that of the Amish. 
They had to live without electricity and to live eating their own grown food. Some just couldn't cope and one left after only 8 days. 
They did learn to grow amazing veg, they learnt to milk cows, look after their chickens in fact all the skills you need to be self sufficient.
I think probably one of the hardest was clothes washing as they did it in tin baths with a dolly. 

This is how my  grandmother did the bedding after B&B guests in the 1950s before she had a washing machine. I can remember helping and being at the handle of the mangle. This was all done in tubs in the back garden, even in the rain (unless it was pouring)


I'm really enjoying the programme, episode 4 tonight. It'll be interesting to see who can stay the course, how many will still be there after the time is up, can't wait to see.

Could you live that way? I might have when I was younger but no way today.

Chrisxx









7 comments:

Frugally challenged said...

I'm enjoying it too and am watching last night's episode as I type this! I was a bit relieved (and not in the least surprised) when Penny left last week.

Bovey Belle said...

I've been enjoying this too. I think, having had to "cope" down the years, some of this would be easier for me than some people (though I prefer making butter with a Kenwood Mixer rather than shake it up by hand!) It's lovely to see what people really fit in and which ones you know truly won't hack it!

Joanne Noragon said...

We had a similar program on PBS twenty or thirty years ago. I remember many participants left.

Joy said...

I've entered it again. Fingers crossed.
xx

Eileen H said...

I haven't watched the programme but you have reminded me of my grandmother. She had a wash tub and mangle and a wooden clothes airer suspended from the ceiling above her cooking range. That would be in the 1950s and '60s. Like you I could have lived that way but not now, not at my age.

Poppypatchwork said...

Thanks for the tip to come to this blog, I've not watched that program, will have to take a look on catch up.

meandmysmallcorner said...

I haven't watched the programme but I remember helping my nan with the mangle on wash day and being told to keep my fingers away from the rollers!