Saturday 4 January 2014

Lace Shawl


This is what I am trying to knit, it is called Skywalker.  I bought  Video lessons from Craftsy.
I have always wanted to make a lace shawl but I didn't understand the grid patterns of today.
This was well worth the money as it is well explained,  but still difficult.
In one section I undid what I had done 5 times!! But Laura Nelkin is very good and showed how to do a life line in your knitting. This is where you thread a contrast yarn through a row of stitches so if you have made a mistake you can undo to the life line which holds the stitches.
It isn't easy and I consider myself an experienced knitter, so as well as learning lace knitting, I am learning patience (grrrrr!!) and persistence!! LOL
I am about a quarter way through and will post a pic next time.
 
 I only knit this for a short time because it takes a lot of concentration and I get brain ache!!LOL So I am xstitching in the evenings and doing one design in each week or until I feel I really need a change.


12 comments:

Vickie said...

Wow! Well I am quite impressed.What color is yours?

Katya said...

This shawl looks very impressive! Wishing you the best with the project - and with character building. :) Can't wait to see the WIP picture.

Beth said...

The shawl is beautiful. I can't wait to see what your finished one looks like.

Leslie: said...

The pattern is exquisite, Chris! Can hardly wait to see yours.

Penny said...

It's beautiful, Chris! I'm not an experienced knitter, but I did learn about the life line early on. :)

Kate said...

Wow that is gorgeous - I have trouble with plain knitting so I am totally in awe of your new project. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Shebafudge said...

Well it looks great to me and what a gorgeous colour.

Shebafudge said...

Sorry, I think I have been a bit thick. Is the picture what yours will look like when it's finished? I give up, I need to go back to bed!

Caz said...

That shawl is gorgeous,, what colour is yours?

Jackie's Stitches said...

You can do it! It takes practice, lifelines, and learning to read your knitting. The last one was hard for me.

Winifred said...

I love knitting lace shawls too. I try not to knit at night as you really need good light & no distractions from the telly!

I've often had to take my knitting back a few times. Some patterns are better than others to follow.

Look forward to seeing the finished product!

Julie said...

It's a beautiful pattern Chris, good luck completing it.