Tuesday, 14 July 2026

Lazy days...

 I have posted about this rose before, but Tony in radio programme The Archers,' was proudly saying in an episode this last week that he was planting a 'Trotting by Gently'  rose. And ours is looking glorious, in spite of the heat. And its been 38C on our SW facing patio! 


Dh has been watering the pots each evening, but even with that some plants are drooping. 
But our cucumber plant we had from the Garden Group swap, is producing abundantly and they taste really good.

We've not done a lot, its been so hot, while it was early Saturday and a bit cooler,  we had a quick clean through, I did my share in my nightie and then showered, when we had finished.. then we put on the TV and watched the tennis. We've loved Arthur Fery, and was thrilled that he got through to the semis. Next to Sverev he looked tiny, but he really played well. We're looking forward to seeing more of him in years to come.

I 've started a crochet throw, to keep me occupied and not think of food!
How are you faring in this heat? However this morning there is a cool breeze!

Chrisxx

14 comments:

Sooze said...

I've been crocheting too, a cardigan for myself, but can only do a couple of rows at a time as my hands get so sweaty in this heat.

Angela said...

Annie Tempest, who painted the T by G cartoons, after which the rose is named, used to live near here.

Live and Learn said...

The color of that rose is so pretty. Our weather has be warm, but okay so far this week. However, tomorrow it's supposed to be 38 C. Definitely an indoor day.

My Piece of Earth said...

The Archer's is still on? My mother listened to that years and years ago. It's going to be hot here today, record breaking temps, up into the low 40
s. An inside day working on blocks for my quilt.

Jo said...

Such a lovely rose, a pretty colour. We've just got back from a fortnight holiday and our garden has suffered with the weather, lots of TLC needed now to nurse it back to health. I took some crochet away with me but I hardly picked it up, far too hot to be manipulating yarn, haha.

Marcia said...

My daughter and son in law lucked out with the heat. They were there visiting the Cotswolds and the temps were fine. Also no rain for their walking tour. The heat dome is in the grip of the US now again. Today will be a hot one for us.

Maggie said...

Had to smile at you doing your work in your nighty, I tend to do the jobs in the house in my pj's, i've even been know to do gardening in my pj's too 🤣
This weather is good for nothing and no one, too hot for anything except the essentials, I know we are in the UK and supposed to make the best of any good weather, but how can you make the best of 30 + degree heat?
Your rose is a pretty colour.

HappyK said...

Pretty blooms. I've been knitting a bit today. Weather comfortable here by me.

Granny Sue said...

Oh my, that is hot! We had 90° today, 32°C, but it wasn't terrible because the humidity was lower than it has been. It will get worse all week though.
I really like that rose. My roses are not doing well, probably because every time i fertilize it rains heavily and washes it all away.

Lowcarb team member said...

What a beautiful rose.
I'm not a lover of hot summer days and tend to take things at a slower pace.

All the best Jan

Kezzie said...

School has been fine for me in the heat because my music room has aircon (the benefits of being an ex-ICT room!) That rose is really beautiful! Well done on the cucumbers too!!x

diane b said...

I thought it would be hot to crochet. Hope you get cooler weather soon just like i'm hoping for warmer weather soon.

Back2OurSmallCorner said...

Such a pretty rose and I just love the name. No crochet or knitting here at the moment. I have plenty of projects to get on with but I'm too hot to pick them up at the moment. I didn't watch any of the sporting events but i did hear that Arthur Fery was a name to look out for in tennis. I wish him every success.

Bless said...

A beautiful rose! Hope you are able to keep cool in those hot temperatures.