Thursday 15 August 2013

Wa-hooooo we are using my quilt!

I bought this fabric in 2001 when I moved to this house and intended to retire and quilt!
But didn't make the quilt. I had a half hearted go at it but didn't have a clue. So I found a quilting shop that did classes and I made a tote bag, then I made another tote bag and then I made one for my friend.. all this time I had this fabric in a bag! I started to do some part time teaching which meant I didn't retire till 2006 when I married my DH..
Four and a half years while I lived in Coventry, the fabric stayed in the bag... on my return to Billericay I looked up the shop where I had first gone and she had moved to a place just outside Billericay and only 7 minutes drive from me! I have not made a tote bag since!! But I started this quilt in January 2012 and finished in April 2012. I am very pleased with it, it wasn't easy but I continue to practise and make cushions as you can see in the picture. I like what I call the piano keys edging, a great way to border a quilt with only small thin scraps you have left.
 I now have another big quilt with the top all done and just have to layer it and then quilt. This the first time we have used it.. we had some colder nights and as we still had on our summer light weight duvet we needed something else on top of us..
What you can do with some tutoring is amazing!

15 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful quilt! It might have taken you a while but I bet you're glad you finished it after having the materials for so many years!!! Congrats :)

Leslie: said...

It's beautiful, Chris! I love purples...
Thanks for your good wishes re Lorne. He made it through the surgery, but might have to have 3 more months of chemo. We have to wait and see. He's very relieved the op is over as he was terrified. I'm seeing him this morning but he's already phoned me to tell me he loves me! Druggie! lol

Shebafudge said...

Oh that is gorgeous! Well done!

Caz said...

What lovely colours in the quilt,, beautiful!!

Shirlee said...

Hooray for you Chris! Your finished quilt looks lovely, & what a joy when it's time to get out the quilts for the beds! I have a quilt top upstairs ... several of them as a matter of fact, but one in particular that needs to be made bigger & I have been trying to figure out a border. That piano key one just might work! Thanks for the inspiration : )

stitchersanon said...

Perfect, how special!! It looks amazing. Well done Chris.

cucki said...

wow so pretty x

Jennifer Hays said...

Your quilt is beautiful and I'm glad you're getting to enjoy it now.

Annette-California said...

Your quilt is so beautiful. How wonderful its finished and a very special quilt too:)
love Annette

Julie said...

I bet that was nice and cosy, it looks lovely.

Blu said...

It's absolutely gorgeous! I love the purples. They look amazing.

butterfly said...

Beautiful Quilt, I would love to make one .

Lesleyanne said...

A beautiful quilt. Love the colour.

Vickie said...

Love it Chris! Well done and so very satisfying right?!

Stitchingranny said...

wow that is stunning Chris, and yes love the piano key effect.
I have a friend who quilts and a couple of years back she bought me a roller blade and a 24 x 6 rule so I could have a go. I am ashamed to say they are still in their packaging. I wish there were a quilt shop near me where I could go for lessons.