Monday 25 March 2013

Back to my home town

Our B&B overlooked this beautiful beach, however it wasn't calm like this.. the waves were high and the wind wipped up the sand on our legs. It was bitterly cold, but we still enjoyed our long weekend in my home town of  Porthcawl.
This last weekend was my annual visit to put flowers on the graves.
One afternoon, we sat in the car drinking foul coffee from a burger van and watched several surfers and felt the cold for them!
How could they stand the cold sea?
The coffee was scalding hot so kept us warm!
We had some lovely days just enjoying the sea air, listening the the calls of the sea gulls and eaing ice-cream.
This is the light house on a rough evening.
 
The town is different to when I was young and living there,  but there is still the same haberdashery shop there after all these years. I spent quite a while in there and bought a some pretty scissors and yarn to knit myself a jumper.
Once again we looked at the price of houses there, when I have visited there,  the pull to go back is so strong, although I think of where I live now as home. The town where I was born will always be my first love!
 

Chris xx

14 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Great pics, thanks for sharing - that nostalgic pull can be so strong, can't it?

Jennifer Hays said...

Pretty photos, Chris. Thanks for sharing. It must have been nice to go back to that haberdashery again.

Beth said...

Beautiful photos Chris!

CJ in OK ;-) said...

Thanks for sharing and for the beautiful pics. CJ in OK

Leslie: said...

As we drove past the sign pointing to Porthcawl, I thought of you! I'm a bit disappointed we didn't have time to go and poke around though. Your photos are beautiful, especially of the lighthouse! Hope you are all well. I think of you often. Hugs XXX

Carolyn NC said...

We always have such memories..beautiful place!

Lesleyanne said...

Gorgeous photos.

Vickie said...

I always love to go back "home".
To answer your question on the stitching poem, no I am not the author. ;)
Wishing you a Happy, Blessed Easter.

Lynn Bourke said...

Some lovely photos!

Julie said...

Great action shot of the surfer and i love the lighthouse one.

Annette-California said...

Its great you got to visit your home town and the little shop that's still there. Great photos. I must say I did a double take on the lighthouse one - ON MY those waves went high. Your jumper you make will have a special meaning because you got your yarn from your home town:)
love Annette

Jay said...

I love the photo of the surfer, but it must have been so chilly!

diamondc said...

Chris: I love your pictures looks so refreshing, thank-you for joining my blog, here is back at you, now a cool 200 followers you have, congratulations.
Catherine

Fiona said...

Very pretty pictures.