Tuesday 28 September 2010

A disappointing read.

This book has had me so frustrated, there were too many characters I lost the plot a few times as the characters  switched from one to the other telling the story. Good basic story line of SIDs (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)  It is told from the view point of Fliss who is a TV producer making a programme about three women who have been imprisoned for killing their babies and then years later acquitted.
Having read 'Little Face' by the same author which I loved and was intrigued by the clever plot, I bought this one. But at least it gives me ideas of how not to write as I am determined to hit those Asda book shelves with my own writings!! erum! Asda because it has the highest turn over of books, would you believe and like it was once thought if your record was chosen to be sold in Woolies, you had made it. It seems the same is thought about books and Asda!
I read in bed each night and this book did not make me want to read it, so I didn't feel that excitement I usually do when I am reading a good book and can't wait to get to it. It was a bit like reading a book chosen by my book group that I didn't like, but persevered because it was the book group!
So I was very disappointed, as usually when I find an author I like, I read everything they have written, this means unless Sophie Hannah's next book enthralls me she is off my lists!
Now I am reading Jodi Piccoult (Author of My Sisters Keeper) and many others. This new one is supposed to take a different format to her others, in that it is not a court case, so I hope  I like it! I have read everything else she has written, so I hope I like 'Picture Perfect!'

5 comments:

Lesleyanne said...

I agree there is nothing worse than reading a book and not liking it. I find Jodi's book a bit depressing but I haven't read one all the way through yet so probably being a bit unfair.

Claire said...

I haven't read this book hpoe the next ones better.

Katya said...

Hope you like your new read!

Julie said...

Always such a shame when a book isnt a joy to read, hope the new one fares better for you

Lija Broka said...

Agree! Though well done on persevering ... I have given up somewhere around the beginning. She has 'The orphan choir' though I won't be reading it. Have you tried 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn?