Sunday 9 November 2008

Remembrance Sunday




We watchedThe British Legion Service of Remembrance last evening and it had some so sad bits in it as they interviewed a mother of a 20 year soldier killed this year, I had tears in my eyes and I suspect so did Mike as he was very quiet. His nephew Matthew was killed in Iraq three years ago, he used to visit and play with Mike’s son George, so he knew him growing up.
I was struck by the beauty of the whole service and how it was so moving, say what you like about Britain one thing we know is how to produce such a programme.
Today the Baptist church I attend is joining with a C of E church at 11 to stand outside at the Cenotaph. I shall have to take my walking stick to walk the short distance







In Flanders Fields
by John McCrae, May 1915


In Flanders fields the poppies blow


Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.


We are the Dead.

Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.



Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep,though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.


3 comments:

Julie said...

We listened to the service from our cenotaph on the local radio, it was a very moving service.

Clare-Aimetu said...

I was on Parade in Nuneaton as a member of the Scout Association. It is always a moving and very sombring experience.

stitchersanon said...

We dont really do Memorial day in Ireland which is a shame as my husband's great uncle was a priest who was killed at the Battle of Somme. Many Irish died as well, and I think we should remember these men. What ever the politics of any war, these men died to defend their countries and should be remembered.